Tomahawk trainers in progress

Stormcrow

I had to toss my entire first batch of tomahawk trainers that I had waterjetted. Something about cutting the holes in the ABS caused the spray to deflect, cutting through the sides of the holes. I finished out a couple of the more solid ones just to be able to show folks at the Blade Show what I had in mind.

I just got a new batch of trainers waterjetted. These are made from 3/4" ABS, and should be very tough. I'll be doing some demonstration videos with them after they're completed. They are the same thickness as the handles of the real tomahawks and will be beveled the same way. The heads are the same pattern as the hammer poll I'm making, with more rounded corners and with anchoring holes to allow for padding to be easily added when sparring with a partner.

These were cut without holes. In the lower left you can see a pattern that I had cut from 1/4" mild steel that I will use when drilling the holes with my drill press. I added three additional holes to the head of the trainer from my original batch to allow for padding to be anchored all the way around the head for safety when practicing blocking and hooking techniques.

As you can see, they are the same lengths as the available tomahawks. They are only made in hammer poll form as adding a spike would be too dangerous on a hard plastic trainer; even a rounded one could easily penetrate a temple or an eye. The hammer polls are still long enough to train with hooking and limb deflection techniques that you might use with a spike 'hawk.

I also had some 'hawk blanks cut from the 1/4" mild steel to make sheath blockers with, so that Kydex sheaths can be built around them. I hope to have those available soon.

I think washout something was the term my waterjet man Jay, used when he was describing that problem of hole enlargement towards the bottom. I am surprised your water jet cutter didn't test a piece first before he cut all of the material?

Jay said different materials have a different "washout" factor and he always does a test on each thickness of a different material. I have had him cut steel profiles and we are now doing a project in CF material.
Great project you have for the trainer Hawks.

Best of luck on it.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

It never would have occurred to me about that possibility. Live and learn, I guess.

Got further progress on the trainers today. I started by lining up the pattern with a blank, C-clamping it, then drilling the holes.

Then I swapped for a countersink, set the depth stop on the drill press, and countersunk the holes, both sides.

After that, off to the router table. This is the same 45 degree bevel bit I use on the handle slabs on the real tomahawks, and the thickness of the ABS is the same as the handle (tang and slabs together) on the finished 'hawks.

It gets rather messy. I usually use a shop vac to try to control the mess, but opted out for the pictures.

After the first side, I decided to go ahead and use the vacuum.

And there you go, one 18" hammer poll training tomahawk with padding anchor holes.

Get a shave and lose some weight, man! :D

Finally got a finished picture of a 12" 'hawk trainer.

Next to an 18" version:

And a shot of both in hand:

They could definitely crack a skull! That's why I added the provision for attaching padding when training with a partner.

Back