Tombstone Dagger

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
I just got these images from Coop. This is the dagger I have posted on my fiberglass sheath thread here.

specs are:
9 1/2" damascus blade
1084/15n20 Texas Wind pattern
milled one piece 1018 frame/pommel
take down construction
1018 guard, spacer and collar
Mammoth ivory, cream color
Full coverage engraving by Ken Hurst
Fiber glass and leather sheath
1018 throat and tip on sheath

You saw it here on our Knife Dogs Forum first

TombstoneDagger.jpg

TombstoneinSheath.jpg

Bruce, I'm glad I can say "I put my grubby little hands on that one at Chicago".
Truly a masterpiece, Bravo.

Mr. Bump,

This knife is truly beautiful. I wonder if you would to be so kind as to elaborate on the finish you used on the 1018. In another post you mentioned India ink. Is that it or is there more to it?
Thank you.

Greg

Thanks Mr. Bump... I broke my monitor trying to pick that beauty up! :D

Insanely kewl knife! The artful craftsmanship that went into the design to create it are.........."unwordable" unsure errr.... I can't think of a word to describe them.

COOP is the person that inspired me to get into knife photography. He is the master. I hope someday to be 10% as good as he is.

Mr. Bump,

This knife is truly beautiful. I wonder if you would to be so kind as to elaborate on the finish you used on the 1018. In another post you mentioned India ink. Is that it or is there more to it?
Thank you.

Greg

Hi Greg,
The 1018 is polished to 4000 prior to the engraving, after it came back from Ken I went over it again with the 4000 (pink polishing cloth bought from Rio Grande Jewelers Supply) and cleaned all the parts with Brownells degreaser spray. Brake Cleaner will also work. Next I dobbed Brownells Oxpho Cold Blue on the exposed parts making sure it went to the bottom areas of the removed back ground. Back to the 4000 for the tops and back to the cold blue for the bottoms repeated until the bottoms stayed dark and the tops turned polished silver. This is one method to get what is known as "French Grey" finish. The blueing left the steel darker than before as it does soak in and help to resist staining although it needs a coat of oil once in awhile. The 4000 pink cloth is used on everything including the ivory from now on to maintain the original finish.
Thanks for asking

Bruce, I've seen this one coming along for a while now over at BF's, and all I have to say is :eek:!

Tremendously beautiful, as are all of you knives!

--nathan

Back