Tong Styles - What does or Could work best for forging knives?

Eddie Mullins

Since my smithing interests have now incorporated knife making, I've realized its time to make myself some more tongs. I currently use flat Jaw, bolt and a smaller set of box jaw tongs. I was planning to do a set or two of larger sized box jaw tongs, but am now thinking the blade style or offset/gooseneck v bit style might work better due to the tapers and contours of the blade. I have also seen a style in an old video that were used by a knife maker that were a sort of modified box jaw with just 1 vertical side, and the other bit bit being curved. I presume this was to compensate for different widths and tapers?

I'm not looking to buy and can shape as desired, so, not limiting yourselfs to whats on the market, but those are fair game too, what is or could be the best tong design(s) for forging knives? I don't mind making a few styles to test them out, I'm enjoying the blades, but I'm kind of missing forging tools, etc. : ) .

BTW - I'm currently just using A36 for tongs and the like, but thinking I could go with 4140 or similar and use smaller stock for the tongs, making them lighter and retain the same strength. thoughts?

If you use higher carbon steel for tongs be careful quenching them for they can become brittle.

The tongs that I use are supposed to be made from 1040. If they do get quenched with the work then I need to return them to the forge for normalization but you also have to remember that 1040 is very shallow hardening, unlike 4140, plus it doesn't have much carbon to form martensite so it won't be like using W2 to make your tongs from. My most use pattern are chain makers tongs.

Doug

I use the ones you mention plus the offset knifemaker's ones in 3/4, 1 1/2, and 2". I have 10 to 12 different ones I go to depending on how they fit the piece I'm working on.

Tongs and hammers are kinda like women's shoes, you go with what good for the occasion and you can never have to many even if you need more space to store them!

Last edited:
I like Tom tong alot , there made over seas. I like that the have balls on the handle of the reins to prevent your hand getting pinched. I use

1/4 tom tongs U box
1/4 tom tongs Z box
off center tong are also good.

Yyg249_zps13788cae.jpg

The ones on top in this image really impressed me with their simplicity and usefulness. Next time I fire up the forge I'm going to make me a pair like them.

John I am making my own and that die is definitely an efficient tool - if I only had the power hammer to go with is, I'd be all set : ) . I do have a friend that forges his by hand and made up a little jig for bending the off sets. I have considered doing the same. Do you think your jig, or a modification there of would be suitable or beneficial if forging by hand?

I'm not sure what the proper name for these tongs would be, I have been wanting to make them ever since I spotted the tongs Albert Craven used in one of my favorite videos http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zpeyhC-UIFg . I wanted something to use while forging knives and working with flat sock that could accomodate various width, thickness and bevels. The tongs resemble box tongs except there is only 1 vertical side, not two allowing different widths to be held, and the other jaw is curved down rather than flat, allowing uneven or bevel surfaces to be griped. This video is the only instance I have seen of this style, but they could be widely used as my experience is limited, At any rate here is my attempt, drawn out from 5/8" round A36. They hold surprisingly well and are springy enough to hold from 1/8 or thinner up to 3/8 pretty comfortably.

Also pictured is another HF hammer I modded. This is a small I think 4 lb sledge I rounded 1 face of and reprofiled the handle. It draws out material quite well.

blade n flat tongs 3-7-14 a.jpgblade n flat tongs 3-7-14 b.jpgblade n flat tongs 3-7-14 c.jpg

There's still a few other designs I intend to try but I anticipate these will get a lot of use : ) .

I made another pair today. These are similar to the style on the ABS video and are made from 1/2" round stock. They hold nicely and don't require drawing out larger stock. flat tongs 3-9-14 a.jpg flat tongs 3-9-14 b.jpg

Back