top/ horizontal tangs

Noellaflamme

So,
I had thought of trying what i am starting to see called a top tang a while ago, and after seeing a youtube video where someone did something similar my interest was peaked again. Has anyone here had any experience with making these? and if its not clear what exactly i'm talking about, i mean where the tang goes horizontally across the back of the handle with the wood mounted underneath.

thanks for any input

Noel

I found only one video on youtube that shows this. It was for a wood carving tool. So I'm curious enough to follow along

I found only one video on youtube that shows this. It was for a wood carving tool. So I'm curious enough to follow along
Yeah that's the one that reminded me about the idea. The only other example I found was a farberware knife.

If I can ill try to forge a small one out tommorow... I may have some steel thick enough to give it a shot while I try to find a good thick round or square bar

Looks neat. You could also develop one as a mid handle with steel down the middle horizontal with wood top and bottom.

Back