Try #2

springer82

Well,,,, this turned out better then my first sheath. A little. lol,,,, The stiching could have come out better. The stamping was better then the first. All in all I'll keep it. Or in this case give it away. Any and all recommendations on keeping the stiching straight from one side to the other are welcome.

Attachments

• 20190213_190934.jpg
    20190213_190934.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190213_190914.jpg
    20190213_190914.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
looks nice! I've had that same stitching issue before....I found that I was zigging when I should have been zagging in a way. You need to make sure your needle enters/exits at the same spot each time. If you pull downward on one stitch but upward on the others, they will be "wonky". I'm having a hard time splaining it but maybe that will at least help some. I think it's more of a feel kind of thing but there's some logic to it. I've been doing leatherwork for a few years and still lose focus sometimes on long straps or belts.

The stamping is great and overall it's a great sheath.

Dale

Looks great! That’s a heck of a second try... heck of a tenth one for that matter. I’m really impressed with your tooling. Keep at it; you’re going to get better and better. Good job!

One thing to do when you get a hole out of line if you are punching them with an awl is to get a leather carving spoon and smooth out the the out of line hole and repunch the hole. Just make sure than your stitching needle goes through the right hole when you stitch it up,

Doug

I’ve got no advice because I don’t do my own sheaths but I think your sheath looks great. The knife also looks great.

Last edited:
Hat's off you ya! I gnash my teeth every time I have to make a sheath. Things might be better when I get a bit healthier, and am able to use the Tippmann, but overall..... I just hate dead cow hide. :)

An old trick I saw through the first sheath making book I bought was to use your pattern to set holes. The author would cut out his leather and fold his pattern then stick his stitch holes through the pattern . Open up the pattern and lay it on his leather and mark the holes. He would glue his welt on one side then drill the holes. Glue the sheath together with the holes lined up and you were in business. Time consuming but really looked nice finished.

You got sheath making down pat! Looks really good.

Ken your a nice guy. Get you eyes checked. lol,,, Maybe after another 10+ sheaths I wont look at it and shack my head. The holes from one side to the other are not inline. I almost started #3.

springer82 - Congratulations!! That looks great for No. 2. Leaps and bounds better than No. 1.

On the stitching. Its not about the stitching. It is about getting the holes lined up correctly/straight. Do you use a stitch wheel to mark the holes?The thread will follow the holes.

How are you cutting your holes? Drill press? Dremel? Punch? Work on that and your stitching will get better.

Nonetheless, nice job and with more practice you will keep getting better results. Just take what you have learned and build from there.

I think it looks very good ,I have not ventured into the sheath end yet I have a friend that is an excellent leather man , pricey but very good.

springer82 - Congratulations!! That looks great for No. 2. Leaps and bounds better than No. 1.

On the stitching. Its not about the stitching. It is about getting the holes lined up correctly/straight. Do you use a stitch wheel to mark the holes?The thread will follow the holes.

How are you cutting your holes? Drill press? Dremel? Punch? Work on that and your stitching will get better.

Nonetheless, nice job and with more practice you will keep getting better results. Just take what you have learned and build from there.

Dennis I would like to thank you for putting up with me. All my questions. It turned out as nice as it did because of your help!!! Thank You.

springer82 - You are most welcome! I am glad I could help you a bit. I really did not do too much. I answered a couple of questions and gave a bit of direction. Pretty darn easy on my end.

You did all the hard work. You should be commended. Your leather skills have vastly improved.

Learning a new skill is not easy. Knife making and leather work has lots of components. Knife Dogs and Youtube can be your best friend. I find all kinds of inspiration and answers on Knife Dogs and Youtube when it comes to leather, lacing, carving, knife making. Plenty of stupid stuff too! I think John Doyle calls it the "shenanigans".

If you keep working at it, add a new skill here and there, continue to learn, acquire better tools and some stamping, then your leather work and knife making will keep getting better and better. That is everybody's goal. I think.

Springer, those sheaths look just fine - call them "working sheaths" :)

I do wish to comment on your low count Damascus - I LOVE IT!!! After fooling with San Mai some I'm thinking about trying a low count Damascus myself, but it's be a while before I attempt that.

Springer, those sheaths look just fine - call them "working sheaths" :)

I do wish to comment on your low count Damascus - I LOVE IT!!! After fooling with San Mai some I'm thinking about trying a low count Damascus myself, but it's be a while before I attempt that.

It's funny that you say that Ken...I'm gonna be doing both here in about an hour. I have some low layer twist I made last year. I'm going to attempt to forge weld it to some 416 cladding...wish me luck!!

416 seems to weld really good to high carbon - I've made 3 or 4 SS clad billets so far and they work good. Sand all touching sides nicely clean, seal weld all the way around billet, heat to around 2300F and tap all over seems to work. I did a small test billet yesterday using 15N20 for core and 416 SS for cladding with a .1mm (.004") layer of nickel between each layer. While it welded good it kept the carbon migration down. I like the looks of the line left by carbon migration so don't think I'll be using nickel with 416 SS clad San Mai. I've read nickel makes a really nice line for high carbon San Mai and with Damascus.

Wishing you good luck!

Back