Trying An Arrowhead

DanF

I make my own arrows and ever since my first knife back around '07 I said I'd like to try an arrow head.
I trad hunt so the more primitive (within reason, no reed arrows or flintnapping), the better.
The first half dozen will be attached with silk thread wrapping as the ferrule will add more weight. Don't know how it will turn out but here's the start.
20190221_105255-459x816.jpg
I'm using 15n20 as I love how sharp I can get a low profile edge with it.
The blank started out at .092 and I have ground it down to .072, like the Ace brand arrowhead pictured.
Now I need to order a new set of scales to weigh it as weight and balance are very important to flight and penetration.

I have aways wanted to make arrow heads like that. I even thought on a couple of designs. One using a forged socket like a spearhead and another stock removal design with bleeders that help secure the head in place. I have never done more than just think about it though. Keeping it simple should help get them close when you go to match the weights. Please let me know how they fly when you get there those are cool. Do you think they may warp in HT?

@Chris Railey, I hope not Chris, I have had very good luck with much thinner edges on kitchen cutlery.
It may be a good idea to go ahead and heat treat before I take it any thinner though just to be safe. Not a lot left to remove post ht, just need to make sure I don't overheat it.
I hope to get to the point (eventually) that I can form some type of ferrule to go over the arrow shaft. Worst case scenario, I can glue a threaded insert in place and cut threads on my arrowhead to fit the threads, but, I'd really like to see what I can do with the silk thread first.
I'll let you all know how it goes, but it may be a while before it is ready to nock and load :).

@DanF This is the shape I was thinking about when daydreaming about securing an arrow head with thread. I was hoping the lobes on the bottom would make it very hard to pull the point and arrow apart. Are you going to harden your thread with epoxy or something?

Attachments

• F99615D1-0EED-4D3A-AA99-8333D72A97B9.jpeg
    F99615D1-0EED-4D3A-AA99-8333D72A97B9.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 1
That design should give more grab and hold, good idea.
I have some marine epoxy I was going to try, but any type might work?

I used to make long bows of all kinds but for some reason I never got into making arrows. I have fletched a many and crested a few but never the whole thing. I was just thinking how cool it would be to take an animal with a bow you made, an arrow you made tipped with an arrow head you made and then process it with a knife you made...Or in my case, a son I made cleans it with a knife I made...

Back