Twist damascus with walnut burl.

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
This is one I started on back in August and have been working on in between other knives. I started by making a billet of 38 layers of 1084 and 15N20, then twisted it. I used half of it to hammer this blade out.

After sanding it to 800 and etching in ferric, I soaked it in instant coffee for an hour.

I was going to thread the tang so I could take it apart as I was sanding the handle and fitting everything up, but found out a 6-32 screw works on 1/4" corby rivets, so I went this direction. This is my first hidden tang knife with a guard and I really liked being able to assemble and disassemble it as I was working on it.

Here are some pictures after the first coat of Tru-oil. This is the first handle that I've done a lot of contouring on and think it came out pretty good. It feels real nice in your hand.

Last edited:
Agreed. Wow. Love low layer count Damascus. Yours look terrific. Handle is beautiful. Keep grinding. And posting pics. Great job!

Beautiful work all over, the bold contrast of the steel layers and contrast on the wood really pops. Dan

I'm really digging the Damascus!! I have a small cut off coming from Alabama Damascus I ordered on Ebay. Gonna be my first Damascus knife, hope it comes out half as good as this one!!

Thanks everyone. I really enjoyed making this one and learning a few things as I went. Here are a couple pictures of this one after the handle was finished.

I've got another one started from the same billet that I am going to try to make a damascus guard for.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Dennis, I got lucky with this one. It sold before I could advertise it. A buddy of mine saw it and wanted it. He says he is going to use it next time we butcher hogs.

Back