Tx grinders

Rey

This grinders are on ebay item# 173121754457 their made in Dripping Springs, Tx. Looks and performs good has anyone have one or know of them? Good price well made, your input appreciated thanks. Rey

It really boils down to what YOU want. Personally, I would say don't, because the overall build is very "cheap". The motor shown in the photos is an "open" variety, meaning that metal dust would quickly get into the motor and cause it to burn out. I also give a "no go" to the machine being built out of tubing..... it's gona be light duty, and likely high in vibration.

My gut tells me that this is someone who is trying to "jump on the bandwagon" of making some money because of the popularity of "knifemaking" right now. The fact that it's being offered with an "open" motor tells me that those offering it have little to no knowledge of grinders or knifemaking.
I can't help but think that it would be a situation where you'd spend your money on it.... then find it's not suitable, then spend more money either on it, or on another machine in an attempt to "upgrade". My advice is to just save up and buy one of the "top end" machines from the get go. I know that's tough when money is tight, but you can either spend money time and time again, trying to get a "bargain", and end up spending more in the end....or you can save, buy one of the "top end" machines, and have something that will fulfill your needs, AND have resale value should you ever decide to sell it.

As mom used to say..."It's better'n a poke in the eye with a sharp stick". That design would be easy to duplicate for much less than $775....especially if you're a scrounger. I buy very few "new" toys these days...higher end used stuff seems to be my groove lately...

I think Ed is spot on...you will be tweaking this almost right away...it's still spendy enough to hit your budget hard for saving for a better one. that tracking adjust has me going..."Hmmmmmm".

Ed has made very good comments - and I hadn't picked up on the open frame motor. That's even harder to deal with than an open frame VFD. I don't like the way the tracking wheel is setup - there is no leverage advantage to pressing down on the spring for changing belts. While I don't think there's a need to spend for a $3,000 to $4,000 grinder, there are several out there that can be had for much less that will work just fine. OR - even build yourself. Anybody with the skills to build a knife should be able to put together a nice grinder for that price - complete with VFD and TEFC motor.

It really boils down to what YOU want. Personally, I would say don't, because the overall build is very "cheap". The motor shown in the photos is an "open" variety, meaning that metal dust would quickly get into the motor and cause it to burn out. I also give a "no go" to the machine being built out of tubing..... it's gona be light duty, and likely high in vibration.

My gut tells me that this is someone who is trying to "jump on the bandwagon" of making some money because of the popularity of "knifemaking" right now. The fact that it's being offered with an "open" motor tells me that those offering it have little to no knowledge of grinders or knifemaking.
I can't help but think that it would be a situation where you'd spend your money on it.... then find it's not suitable, then spend more money either on it, or on another machine in an attempt to "upgrade". My advice is to just save up and buy one of the "top end" machines from the get go. I know that's tough when money is tight, but you can either spend money time and time again, trying to get a "bargain", and end up spending more in the end....or you can save, buy one of the "top end" machines, and have something that will fulfill your needs, AND have resale value should you ever decide to sell it.
Thanks Ed well taken and will do.

I would add that building is the way to go IF, you have the skills and knowledge to make it happen! When it comes to grinders, PRECISION of the finished product is the difference between a useful machine, and something that is a constant pain in the rear. I've built a large number of grinders over the years, and can say that if it's done right, the finished product is a great machine.....but when you account for materials, parts, and time, it's more expensive to do it yourself (the right way), then it is to purchase one of the "top end" grinders.

I simply cannot count the number of encounters I've had with individuals who lacked the tools/skills, but because they thought it would be "cheap"....tried to build their own grinders.... and not fully understanding/realizing the level of precision required.... just created a lot of grief for themselves.

So the take away is.....be honest with yourself. If you're just starting out, it's a safe bet that unless you have outside knowledge/education in building/fabricating, you likely don't have the skill set required to produce a well preforming grinder. With time and experience you will develop the skills, and likely acquire the tools required, but for the majority who are just beginning, you will be time and money ahead by "biting the bullet" and purchasing one of the top end grinders. Probably the biggest thing nobody considers when building their own grinders is...... resale value. Build your own, and you will NEVER recoup anything should you decide to sell it. Any of the top end grinders purchased will hold their value, and even a couple of decades down the road, if you decided to sell, you will generally get your money back if selling.

This looks like the Build Your Own design that was circulated years ago. I built one and used it for years until I could buy my Burr King.

While I respect your opinion and decision to build your own grinder, time and experience has proven to me that the vast majority of "beginners" possess neither the tools or ability/knowledge to build a grinder that is even remotely as precision as one of the "top end" grinders. Yes, they are expensive, but when you pay those "big bucks" for a grinder, what you're paying for is the precision, durability, and longevity.

I have a student in the shop right now who first tried to build his own grinder, ironically, out of square tubing, and in his words, "it was a nightmare". Then he purchased a "cheap" grinder because of all the issues with his self built one, and after one day on the KMG in my shop, he says he is going home, selling/getting rid of both, and ordering a KMG. He also purchased a Teco brand VFD and motor, because "it was the cheapest I could find". The VFD failed within a week, and he's having issues with the motor too. Overall he says he's spent approx. $2k between trying to build his own grinder, scraping it, and then buying the "cheap" grinder, Teco VFD, and motor....... and in his words..... "Live and learn".

This is a scenario I've seen time and time again..... in the name of "saving money", individuals spend endless hours building and trying to make something work, that simply won't, and by the time they relent, they've spend enough money to have purchase 2-3 of the "top end" grinders. I believe that's what's called "gaining experience".

Are there people out there who have the ability to build their own grinder, AND produce a good product using it? Yes, but typically those people have had years of experience, in a number of varied areas, that have given them the skills to do so. They are also fairly rare. All that being said, I would say by all means, if you honestly believe you possess those characteristics, and feel confident doing so, then of course, build/use your own grinder(s), but for those with lesser fabricating skills/experience, who are doing it solely because they feel they can't afford a grinder, it usually turns out to be a "live and learn" situation.

I'm certainly not saying that a person MUST purchase one of the "top end" grinders to be successful, but after 30+ years of doing this, I can say that a person is money and time ahead, and the learning curve is much shorter, if a person makes the investment in a "top end" grinder. The other side of the coin is resale value.....build a grinder, and that money is gone. Buy a top end grinder, and in a decade, if you decide you want to sell it, you will get nearly the same money as you paid for it.

I can only offer advice based on a long knifemaking career. In the end, each individual must evaluate their own situation, based on endless factors, and make the decision(s) that are best for them.

Last edited:
Consider the goal: GRINDING GOOD BLADES

So, since everybody is different in abilities, temperament, financial resources,available time, etc. Make the GOAL the thing that stays at forefront of your thinking. I bought a "top end" grinder....I have a complete CNC machine shop with CAD and CAM abilities and could have built one easily.... But not much free time...so to implement THE GOAL I bought one. The TIME SPENT GRINDING was more important than saving some shekels(hindsight of course)....or gaining some bragging rights. You simply cannot realize how much time you will need to spend on a grinder to not be discouraged with the results...(until you are there.) I know my temperament and how easily I could bog down on a project....I'm pretty glad I just bought one and got to grindin'!!

TIME was my most limited resource then...

If I had more time than money back then...I would have certainly built one. I would not build one that was not approved by many seasoned knifemakers. You're already gonna be tempted to blame the tool at first...lol...don't build or buy a "sketchy" one...

Get to grindin'!!

I agree with Ken on the Reeder.

I'll say a couple things though.... While tooling is an issue if you are trying to build a high end grinder, there is absolutely nothing wrong with building one from steel tubing and either weld or bolt it together. I would think most knifemakers have at least the tools needed for one of those. And as Ken said, $300 for the motor & vfd or pulley setup..... or just a one speed grinder for half that! I'm going to start a build thread here, as I'm doing it. What I have come to see is that the belt grinder, just as the AR15 or 1911 is something I will NEVER buy! I will ALWAYS build!

Spending $2500, $3000 or even MORE just seems horribly wasteful to me! I still want to meet the person who makes better knives than I did on my 1 speed, 2x48 converted to 2x72, SIMPLY because of a $$$ grinder!

And I still find it hilarious to see a knifemaker, or more often Knife smith, who spends thousands upon thousabds on machinery, i.e., the super forge, $3600 "wonder" grinder, surface grinder, disk grinder & a partridge in a pear tree...... but then uses JUNK steel for their knives. Steel found in saws or l leaf springs for us stock removers...., or the infamous fake-mascus that some maker EVERYTHING with! LOL

I spent quite a few years in the Tool & Die industry and am reasonably confidant that I can build a good quality grinder. Especially if I had some decent plans.

But I spent the money on the $3600 "wonder" grinder.

Why? Because I could. I'm a bit older (51), have no kids, my wife and I both work and I have a few bucks stashed away that I could spend on the grinder.

I see it as a short cut to a high quality. I called Travis and had one in a few weeks. No muss, no fuss. And it worked perfectly right out of the box.

I don't see it as a waste at all. In fact, I see it as money well spent because I use it for all kinds of stuff, not just knives.

Now, do I think my knives are better BECAUSE of this grinder? Probably not but it sure does make my knife making process a lot easier. And that's worth the price of admission to me.

But hey, if someone has the time, ability and motivation to build their own, then more power to 'em.

Back