USA Driving Licences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert66

Thank you for showing me the correct section.

Are USA drivers legally required to have a driving licence for all states, I mean if you drive out of one state into another one must you also have a licence for that state?

No, you only need a license for the state you live in, the other 49 states (and US territories as well I think) will recognize and accept your license as valid if you drive in the other states.

In fact the state license databases are tied together to the point that if a person has a revoked or suspended license in one state, they cannot get a license in another state, as it will pop up as a red flag on the computer when they try to apply.

Here if we pass our car driving test in a automatic we cannot drive a manual until we also pass a manual test but vice versa is legal, is it the same in USA

Seems like many many years ago the automatic/manual situation was valid, but it's not been that way for many years.... at least in Alabama. It would be interesting to know if that is true any other states.

In USA for many years you could get a learner's permit at 15, and a full valid license at 16 with no restrictions without any driver's education at all. I do think now it's required to have Driver's Education in most all states prior to take driving test.

No difference in tests for stick or automatic in Georgia. Car is a car here until you get past a certain weight...the vehicle not the driver.

You can't drive a motorcycle with out an endorsement on your license, at least in Florida.
and of course endorsements for trailers of a given weight, fifth wheel trailers and tractor trailers.
funny thing is you can drive the biggest rv on earth and only carry a class D drivers license.

And last but not least........you must drive on what everybody knows is the proper side of the road..............
THE RIGHT SIDE ! ---BAM, you had to know that was coming Robert ! :D

I have watched Judge Donna Miller on youtube and she is mostly arraigning motor court problems.

I have noticed the state takes away a drivers licence for not paying motoring fines, insurance lapses, trivial motoring offences, fines build up and the poor motorist cannot afford to pay, cannot get to work because he does not have a car, the fines compound and he gets jail which is expensive.
The reliance, necessity for the car in the USA due to its vastness far outweighs our needs on our little island.
Your justice system seems to hammer the poorest , neediest motoris,ts plus the dishonest bent cops on youtube is very worrying, what happens in the States usually happens here.

How the hell is taking away a persons licence for trivialities helping anyone?

Don’t believe the hype, Robert. That “poor person” who can’t (won’t) pay traffic tickets has a $1000 mobile phone in his pocket with a $150/month service plan, a flat screen tv and cable/internet.

Now, as to a car being a requirement in the US- that is true. Which makes it very important for a person to think twice and NOT GET THEMSELVES into a position to lose their license. It is not difficult to avoid these things. It actually is difficult to lose your license. These are not first offenses.

Last edited:
Robert I would take anything on YouTube with a grain of salt. More like the whole shaker. The people that have there license taken away have been doing wrong for a while. They don't just get yanked away over night. I would also say that 99% of police officers are great people just looking to uphold the law and get back to their family at the end of the day. The media just likes to spotlight the bad.

Robert I would take anything on YouTube with a grain of salt. More like the whole shaker. The people that have there license taken away have been doing wrong for a while. They don't just get yanked away over night. I would also say that 99% of police officers are great people just looking to uphold the law and get back to their family at the end of the day. The media just likes to spotlight the bad.
This holds true everywhere in the free world I expect, with NZ not being immune from the odd rouge cop but on the whole they are reasonable.
To drive here you may do so on an international licence untill you have been here 3 months when you need to apply for a NZ licence.
We have car (up to 3 ton) , motorcycle, heavy vehicle, passenger (bus/taxi etc) RV go by size/weight.
I got my licence at 16 (1968) with 5 oral questions while I did a 5 minute drive which was round the block and a 3 point turn on a back street. Now they reccomend a driving school but it is not a requirement and there is an extensive written (multiple choice) test before a more comprehensive driving test.

I got my full UK driving licence in 1960.

I understand that a lot of people have several chances before jail.

If someone gets 10/20/30 days jail for not paying a traffic fine does it cancel out the money fine?

Last week in Tampa Bay Florida a guy got his 5th DUI. and just like the one before that he'll be driving again, possibly killing someone I know. people have choices in there lives.
if you grow up to be a loser and burden to good hard working tax paying folks...you get no sympathy from me.

I certainly wouldn't make decisions about a nations governing laws based on youtube videos.
My father was a cop and my uncle was a state trooper, both two of the finest people I ever knew.
the world will never be perfect but I'll say this, there's nowhere I'd rather live than the United States of America and I thank god I was born in this great nation.

In Alabama your license is typically suspended with the first DUI.

Agreed, watch YouTube videos on law enforcement for entertainment only.

@bladegrinder amen to that! Nothing but respect to law enforcement/military. If it weren't for some health issues I would be right there with em. Wouldn't want to live in the country without them.

Garry, I met a couple guys from Matamata the other day discussing a job. they own Tampa Bay Plumbing.
I was telling them about you over there making knives and then started talking about hunting.
they started telling me about the Possum problem you all have over there, I never heard about that before.
They sure don't look like the ones over here. it was pretty interesting hearing about the problem with those critters over there.

I'll be moving to 30 acres in the woods of North Florida in a couple years, so it'll be kind of like New Zealand except that it's in the 90's most of the year, high humidity, hurricanes, mosquitoes, tornadoes, no mountains, and no real furry possums.
I live in a tourist city right now by the beach and the population around here is unbelievable, John Wilson can attest to that.
I'm counting the days.................

If your cops pull a poor guy for a trivial motoring office and he REALLY cannot afford to pay the ticket fine, in time it compounds and becomes so large he ends up in jai, so he cannot work, loses his job, the state keep him and his family costing mega bucks. he then turns to crime so his family can survive.

Jobs for the poor are not easy to get.

We had a fantastic holiday in Henderson, Vegas for almost 2 months in 2007, I formed the opinion you seem to value a job there more than here, I spoke to many people and some had 2/3 jobs and their wives/husbands also had more than one job.

Do not think I am knocking USA, far from it, love it and the world would be in a bad state without it.

I am further intrigued with your gum laws, they are extremely tight in UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back