Vacuum Pot Tutorial

Meridian Blades

Moderator - Knife Maker
James requested that I post the instructions on building a vac chamber / pressure pot, so heres a tutorial on how to build your own from a paint pot. You can do vacuum and pressure with it. I did NOT write this tutorial, but I found it online and used it to build my own chamber. Heres a pic of what mine looks like after it was finished, and the tutorial is in the link. In my opinion, (and you what they say about opinions....:p) I would (and do) send my wood to WSSI for stabilizing, even tho I have the chamber, B72 and Res90. If you want to build your own pot, these instructions are really easy to follow. Link is below.

Larry

(I couldn't embed the file here because its 650K, so heres the link. Look at the bottom under tutorials its called Vac Chamber Pressure Pot. Click on it and download it.)

---> http://meridianknives.shutterfly.com/

vac.jpg

YMMV

James that really depends on what your using to stabilize the wood with. The b72 seems to take days of the blocks being submersed under vacuum, altho people have different results depending on their solution. IG, seems to have been very successful at getting his B72 mixed with other stuff to stabilize his wood, but I understand he keeps his in the "juice" for weeks at a time. The density of the wood also plays a major role, as does the moisture content. So, basically your mileage may vary. I had some trouble with my solution evaporating too fast while my blocks were submerged. The chemicals used to disolve the B72 are pretty strong as well.

Larry

Back