Vanishing plunge lines?

Black cat

Ok this current knife came out of HT great!
Now i'm hand sanding...
I finally had nice clean plunge lines and my hand sanding is destroying them.
I considered using a file gaurd BUT then I can't sand the ricasso.
sanding the ricasso is rounding the edge ... Any yeah...
How do you guys do this?

Ok this current knife came out of HT great!
Now i'm hand sanding...
I finally had nice clean plunge lines and my hand sanding is destroying them.
I considered using a file gaurd BUT then I can't sand the ricasso.
sanding the ricasso is rounding the edge ... Any yeah...
How do you guys do this?
Sounds like your using the wrong sanding stick with the wrong backing. You need a piece of hardened precision ground steel to get truly flat, crisp sanded flats and bevels. Not sure how your going about it, but technique and sanding stick makes the difference

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Even the hardwood block might be too soft and your sharp crisp corners are digging in a bit, washing them out. Try something harder. A lot of guys use steel or aluminum. I've had good luck with g-10 sanding blocks.

Also, don't use too much pressure. You're trying to abrade the steel so you don't need to push down super hard. Pushing too hard will cause you to put uneven pressure on the ricasso and round out one side or the orther or the plunge lines. Focus on keeping light even pressure straight down on the ricasso.

I'll try some steel. I watched Nicks videos a few times over the years and I keep going back and thinking about them. My technique is very similar too the point that sometimes I wonder if I overlooked something in the video.
You're correct though it's the sandpaper washing out the crisp edge on the plunge as it goes by.
Today i'm going to try steel and gluing the paper to the steel to keep it tight.
Also i'm thinking of sanding the blade with a grind guard protecting the plunge, then when the blade is done I can remove the guard and sand the ricasso seperately.

How do you guys sand inside the plunge? I have some idea but find it's a pain trying to get the small belt scratches out of the plunge without creating a divot in the blade.

If I'm understanding right the scratches at the plunge are what your trying to remove?
If your stick/block is hard and square then if you sand from the plunge line to the tip in one smooth motion there should not be any scratches at the plunge in theory.
Once past 220 you could use a folded piece of sand paper to work the plunge area to get the scratches at the plunge line also.
I may be wrong in others eyes but it is what has worked for me so far.

Back