video for website

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
I've been trying to get decent quality photos for my website. I have come to realize that a knife is one of the more difficult things to photograph...the slightest variation in perspective makes the shape look different than it really is...I'v noticed this with most of the home-brew pics on this site...usually a few pics from different angles and we know what a guys knife looks like...but I think our brains are gathering info from multiple pics to compile an understanding of the true shape of the blade/handle...

I don't have the time to put up multiple pics of a knife on a website and cannot afford the "good guys"...so I'm playing with video...I think when I get this "tuned" it will be a quick easy way to showcase a knife...

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Photography of knives is difficult......video of knives is INCREDIBLY difficult. I've done/do both, and can promise you that the videos on the web of knives (that doesn't look like poo) take twice as long to shoot/edit as photos.

Quality photos of knives requires a light box, quality daylight type lighting (5500k+) and at least a decent quality camera. It's not at all uncommon for me to spend 2-3 hours of setup and shooting photos to get 2-3 that I will use on the site.....and even then they get filtered through 2-3 various photo editing softwares. I gave up on video because of the amount of time and effort it consumes, not only to shoot, but again....to edit. If you think you can shoot a video and not edit it......not a wise idea.

Just a bit of advice from someone who's been selling knives for a long time...... whatever you use (photos or video), it has to be quality. If you choose to put up a "so-so" photo or video that's intended to sell your product......you just shot yourself in the foot.

Sean Jones

It looks good in the window. However if someone were to view it full screen or on YouTube it's a bit blurry. Also I think it might help if you had the tip of the knife in a downward position. Possibly 45 degrees or so. Just a thought. It might be something to play with. You might be able to change that in your editing software without having to re-shoot.

I think the speed is right and the flash off the knife adds a nice coolness factor.

KenH

I agree with everything Ed said - a light box is a MUST have for knife photos. Until I purchased this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CX9S8A/ for $35 or so my knife photos were really bad. With a light box my photos (while still poor) and much improved. I forget who on this site recommended that light box but it does help lots.

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Thanks for input guys!

That first vid was more a proof of concept...now I'll try for some quality. Wish me luck...lol.

One thing that makes setup easy is right now my knives are all the SAME...(well...as close as I can make them...) so a setup that I can swap knives in quickly will somewhat amortize the setup between however many knives I can vid in one go.

Also...just made a holder that grabs the blade a bit farther up...hiding the tip...for me anyways...makes it difficult to really see the blade profile.

Bruce McLeish

Hey Ted, why not hold the knife with a magnet on the underside of the blade? You know -one of those telescoping deals for picking up parts. Tha way , potential customers would be able to see the whole profile......and wonder " how did he do that?

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
I'd recommend buying one of those cheapo battery operated turntables...... they come in all shapes and sizes, are cheap, and with a little acrylic stand, don't cover up any part(s) of your knife/knives.

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Yes! That is a big help! He obviously has critical details to show...while my knife is small with subtle contours that I wish to show...I DO like the way he's turning it!!!

Gonna try it!