Wait until the build ends to sharpen!

opaul

Ok, so NORMALLY I wait until all the fit and finish is done before I sharpen a knife. Yesterday, for some reason, I decided to sharpen that Bowie I'm building with still more work to do around the guard/handle.
I probably do as a lot of you guys do - put a light coat of oil on the blade, wrap it in a paper towel and wrap it with blue tape to make a somewhat temporary protective sheath. I had been doing this on and off during the build to protect the blade. Then typically holding the temporary sheath in my left hand and pulling the knife out with my right hand.
I didn't even think about the blade being sharp when I pulled the knife out. As I was drawing the blade out the sharp edge cut through and sliced the web of my hand between the thump and pointer. It was a shallow slice but I shuddered to think if I would have had a tight grip on the temporary sheath and forcibly pulled the long blade out. Most likely I would have severed a digit or at least cut down into the joint.
I worked in human performance for a few years and one thing that stands out most accidents happen to experienced employees performing routine jobs.

Be careful!!

Thanks for the reminder to be safe!!

Yes I always sharpen during the grind process - this ensures the edge is the most even possible (especially since I like to use low edge angles). But you're right, it's easy to cut yourself if not careful!!

EEEKKK!! And that line from my Grandpa just went through my head..... "Ed, There's traps everywhere for a man." I really hate these types of lessons. Take care of that hand, and heal up quickly!
I use that line now, ever since I first Heard it from you, I give your grandpa credit. You can only say it to another guy though.

Dang! Glad it wasn't too bad and you're ok. Thanks for sharing this because it's a great reminder to pay attention and be careful.

Back