Water wheel for sharpening

RodneyJ

I was looking at a grinder at HF that has an 8" water wheel on one side it runs at 180 rpm I was thinking of picking one up for shapening. I was wondering if anyone uses one or has tried one. any thoughts good or bad
God Bless
Rodney

I've seen the same one, and wondered the same thing. I would also be interested to know if anyone uses it.

-xander-

I have the Tormek T7 sharpening system . It is considered the cadilac of sharpeners. I use it but not on everything . It will set bevels fast and perfect but thats as far as I go . I use the paper wheel and structured abrasive belts to finish knife edges and hone razor blades by hand on the old style water stones and strop on a belt after, all by hand. So really it all depends on what you want to sharpen. I sharpened a planner blade worth 500 dollars perfect for a guy on my tormek and does axes and large knife excellent too . Keep in mind the T7 with the extra jigs cost me near 1 grand . There are lots of gimik type wham bam thankyou mam sharpeners and they are usually just that. If you want it to last usually the good stuff costs ya a little more.

I don't have any experience with the HF model, but it is my understanding that the reduction gear is plastic. That simply can't be good for long-term durability.
Also, there is no tool post that makes today's water wheel "systems" so precise and versatile.

FWIW, about $25-$35 more will get you a Grizzly T10097, which is a more specialized setup for sharpening purposes.

I have both the Tormek T-7 and the Grizzly T10010 (10" wheels). The Grizzly was purchased initially due to budget. Later I purchased the Tormek.
Tormek is the ultimate for this type of sharpening, but very pricey. But the secret to getting the most out of these systems is in the jigs, and the very high quality jigs made by Tormek will fit the Grizzly models.

Out-of the box differences:
The T-7 is much better quality. The wheel seemed to be considerably higher quality, and was ready to run, whereas the Grizzly wheel needed truing/dressing. The Tormek motor seemed more powerful. The honing wheel on the Tormek was better, too.
And, of course, the Tormek has the micro-adjust on the tool post.
In addition, the Tormek has a diameter indicator for quick setting of the angle gage, whereas the Wheel on the Grizzly needs to be measured with calipers.

With that said, the Grizzly models, though lacking in refinement, are a great buy. My largest complaint is that it lacks the micro-adjust, but that simply means I have to spend a little extra time setting the angle.
But as far as durability is concerned, I have had no problems whatsoever with the Grizzly. And that is probably the largest concern for all of us plunking down our hard-earned cash.

Looking at the HF model, I realize budget may be a concern (when is it not?).
But I truly believe you will be better served spending just a little extra and at least stepping up to the Grizzly T10097. That way you will at least be set up to use the different jigs later as budget allows.
Consider this:
1.The HF retails for $65. For that money, you get a combination 6" bench grinder/ 8" water wheel. As mentioned above, the gear slowing the water wheel is probably not going to last under hard use. Also remember that you're on your own in devising a method to obtain precise angles on various tools. The probable end-case scenario is that you spent $65 on a 6" bench grinder. If you need a 6" grinder, HF sells one for $45.
2. The Grizzly T10097 retails for $90. It is strictly a water wheel; no fast grinding. But, with the proper jigs, it allows you to sharpen tools that most people either spend a lot of time doing by hand, or paying a shop to do it.

My suggestion for the budget-minded would be the Grizzly machine paired up with Tormek jigs. (Remember, as mentioned above, the jigs are the key to precision with these systems. And the Grizzly jigs leave a lot to be desired.) You don't have to purchase all the jigs at once, just what you need.

If you have an extra C-note, go for the Grizzly T10010. This gives you a 10" wheel (vs. 8") with a stronger motor. Again, paired up with Tormek jigs.

Or if maximum quality, durability, and versatility is the name of the game, Tormek T-3/T-7.

As already mentioned by HELLGAP, the water wheels are not always the answer.
But if you do go that route, my belief is that the extra $25 is an excellent investment.

Good Luck,
Rob

Thanks HELLGAP and Rob for all the information one of my co-workers received the tormek for Christmases untill I tested some of his edges I had not considered this type of system I can put a desent edge on the old fashion way but tend to put scratches on the blade and I want to have a good clean edge when it goes to a customer. I will check out the grizzly as the tormek is way out of my budget for now

Rodney the tormec makes a smaller version and alot cheaper the tormec t3 is better over griz they are made tuff. The t3 is like 600 dollars and ide say for you well spent. Just like Rob said the jigs are the key I can truely sharpen anything with it except straight razors but thats different all together I can put bevels on razors fast but they are all hand sharpened. Kellyw I just looked them up they are on sale for 650

Last edited:
I use the Grizzly T10010 and I love that stinkin' machine. I've used the Tormek, but honestly, for me, I didn't see enough of a difference to make me trade in the Griz for the Tormek.

Back