Wats the difference

Discussion in 'New to Knifemaking' started by Rick Otts, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Rick Otts

Rick Otts Well-Known Member

Wats the difference between the Personalizer and the plus model is the extra 100.00 bucks worth it plus model?

2. EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS Forum Owner - Moderator

Here's a copy/paste from Tru-Grits website:
    I've owned both. In my opinion the Plus version is the only way to go. The base model/one without adjustable voltage simply does a very poor job of marking consistently. If the blade your marking is VERY small and THIN (as in a slipjoint blade) you can get a decent mark most of the time with the base model. If the mass is anything much larger, it simply doesn't have the power for a deep, clean mark.

Electro/chem etching is one of those things that everybody does slightly different to achieve the results they seek, so there is always a bit of a learning curve when you first start using one.

3. luciusx5

luciusx5 Member

Hi Rick. The difference is that the Personalizer Plus has adjustable power settings. The power on the Personalizer is fixed. I just recently purchased the Plus model. Still playing with it. Not sure if it's worth the extra but I like having the option of being able to "dial" in the power. A thread and example here: https://knifedogs.com/threads/new-etcher-and-stencils.46735/#post-354094

4. John Wilson

John Wilson Well-Known Member

I have the old model with no adjustment. I personally haven't had any problem with it at all, but I also practiced scrap steel until I got my times down. With the non-adjustable unit your results will come from a consistent approach both during the etching and then the marking. I do it the same way every time and my results are the same every time.

5. Rick Otts

Thanx guys I guess when the time comes I will be spending the extra 100.00! But seeing I am always qutoing you Ed and all the great work you do I will just say Ed said to buy it :)

John Wilson likes this.
  6. EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS Forum Owner - Moderator

OH MAN! I think I just got busted! :) I can hear it now...... "But Honey.... Ed Caffrey said THIS is the one I have to get!" :)

Ty Adams, Rick Otts and John Wilson like this.
  7. Rick Otts

A man gotta do wat a mans gotta do :)