Wayne Goddard, My good friend

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
has passed away. . I was informed late yesterday afternoon that he passed earlier in the day. Haven't heard anything else.

I never met the man but from what I've read and heard about him he was a straight up good old country boy and lived a good life. R.I.P Wayne...…...the knife world has lost another great maker.

So sorry for everyone's loss who knew him. His was one of the first books on knifemaking I bought years ago (and kept).

That hits hard. Wayne was one of my knifemaking heros, as well as a mentor in my early career. We've lost another "giant" of the knife world.

R.I.P. my Friend.

Wow, sorry to hear that his book, $50 Knife Shop was the first book I ever read on knife making!! I wonder how many makers have started after reading that same book! RIP, Wayne. He's probably already telling St. Peter about how he made knives!!

Wow, sorry to hear that his book, $50 Knife Shop was the first book I ever read on knife making!! I wonder how many makers have started after reading that same book! RIP, Wayne. He's probably already telling St. Peter about how he made knives!!

It was the first knife making book I ever had.

I've been wondering about him a lot lately. I tried calling a couple years ago but couldn't get a hold of him. I'm actually not surprised to find this news. Its sad to hear but I'm glad that I know. I met him and his son a few years ago at his home.
One thing I'll share from that meeting is that I was just gaining an interest in knife making when I called him to see if I could meet with him. He said, "Well, I've never turned anyone down." When I got there I didn't realize who I was visiting until I got to walking around his shop, talking to him, and held one his larger knives. He said, "Light, isn't it?" I remember slowly realizing I was talking to someone distinguished in his field (to say the least). I appreciate his willingness to meet with me and still give time to a new maker. He was still giving to knife making, even though it wasn't an easy visit for him. I'll always have the memory of that meeting and his generosity.
I know that's a long post but I wanted to contribute to his memory. Thanks, I hope that it resonates well with his friends.

Luke

Back