Well this really blows snot in your resperator!

N

Nihiser P.R.

You might not be able to see it in the pics but as I'm getting ready to transfer my holes to the bolster I notice this freak'in gap right at the point. I've marked it for ya'all in the second pic so you can see the area. The liner is .070 Ti but right at that point it's .007 thinner. Never notice it at first when I was doing all the other work to it.
So now the $64.00 question. What to do? Surface grind? Mill ? Start over?(no way!)
The things we knifemakers have to deal with I tell ya:rolleyes:

Attachments

• snot 001.jpg
    snot 001.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 74
  • snot 002.jpg
    snot 002.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 85
The solution

Put it in the mill. Used some 3m two sided tape(stuff works great) to clamp the part. New, sharp 1/4" 4 flute center cutting carbide endmill @ about 4000rpm(maybe more not sure how fast it goes but it goes), Taking off about .002 each pass. Total 4 passes.

Attachments

• snot solution 001.jpg
    snot solution 001.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 27
  • snot solution 002.jpg
    snot solution 002.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 30
  • snot solution 003.jpg
    snot solution 003.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 29
  • snot solution 004.jpg
    snot solution 004.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 38
I'm glad that worked so well for you. I have not had a lot of luck face milling on foam tape (due to precision and surface finish problems) and I have gone almost exclusively to "Precision Max" super glue for that sort of thing. I run a face mill over some REN, drop a few drops of the CA and stick the part down with a weight on it and let it sit a while. I'm running a fairly sizable job right now where all the parts are held this way.

I've also used the "Grip Rite" stuff (I think that's what it is called) which is a heat activated film that would probably have worked well for your application, but it isn't as stiff and strong as the CA, and clean up can be a pill.

I've been using this tape for years. I mill my bolsters flat. I mill my back-spacers to thickness using it. Handle matl. a breeze. Makes everything nice & flat. Ya can't just lay the part down on it though, ya gotta clamp it down a bit then remove the clamps. Trick is: high speed, sharp cutters & 2/3 thousands passes. Take forever you say. Not really. I buy my stock close to thickness.
I get it from Small Parts.

Back