What are you listening to?

I am a blues man and listen to XM, Pandora or Sky.fm blues channels. At the warehouse, I lose out to the others and we play a shuffle station on Pandora with several types of music. I make sure all the blues channels are in the mix so at least occasionally we hear some cultured tunes...

on a tangent, Buddy Guy is here in Mankato this Saturday night. We will be going for sure...

Doc Watson this morning and a lot of blue grass from Pandora.
Always have music on in the shop.

My XM receiver recently crapped out I may cancel, not real happy with it.

Last edited:
I enjoy listening to The Blues Mobile with Elwood every time I'm in the shop late enough for it. Classic rock is great too, everything from Jefferson Airplane to KISS. Most of the time, and it's been this way my entire life, it's going to have Pantera in the mix, anything with Phil Anselmo on vocals in fact, Corrosion of Conformity, Lamb of God, you name it - the metal I work with isn't as heavy as it used to be, as I'm a former structural steel guy, but the music sure is.

99% of of the time, if I'm in my shop, I've got the Outlaw Country station going on Pandora.

Hank Williams
Waylon Jennings
David Allan Coe
Willie Nelson
Johnny Cash
Merle Haggard
Bobby Bear
Johnny Paycheck

Just to name a few.

Occasionally, I also like to listen to fingerstyle/ragtime blues, typically from the early to mid 1900s: Blind Willie McTell, Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Bline Willie Johnson, etc... Apparently there were a lot of blind guitar players back then.... ;)

They just don't make music like that anymore, even if it was well before my time.
Even though I'm only 29, it seems that anymore, my musical tastes typically revolve around much older music.

That said, I also enjoy classic rock and even the occasional heavy metal.

It's probably easier to say what I don't listen to. This teenage girl fodder is pretty awful and I can't usually deal with bands who's name I can't repeat on these forums, they are a bit much for me. Most anything between that I like from Cash to Ylvis to KISS to Amon Amarth. I do like classical music a lot as well as heavy metal. Playing music loud enough to hear through ear defenders over an angle grinder may seem obnoxious but it's better than the sound of the tools. The neighbours must be slightly confused when my iPod shuffles from Five Finger Death Punch to Boy George though.

Recently I have decided I like Avenged Sevenfold's "Hail To The King".

We recently got a record player, so I've been dusting off what's left, which is just a fraction of what I once had, of my old LPs. It's amazing how much better the dynamics are on those old analog recordings than the newer CDs and digital recordings, in spite of the clicks and pops etc. It's like sitting in the same room, more live sounding, less compressed and more "human" in their nature. In essence, they are just a lot more fun to listen too. Although I only have 100 or so left, there are still some greats in there from the 70s and 80s.

I almost forgot how good the music used to be and it's sad to see such decadence in the music today. It really shows how modern technology is a trade off, but given a choice I'd much rather listen to old scratchy records than the junk, sterile wipes, sanitizers and watered down art they put out these days,... same with just about everything, (including "human" made knives) not just recorded music... "Quality" just isn't what it used to be, in spite of what scientists and engineers would sell us and have us believe.

... Modern technology and media is a discredit to artists, and their personal expressions of what it means to be “human” (the humanities). ... the "soul" is being sucked out by the $., and the illusion of "progress". It's a sign of the times.

"Perfection" is boring...

Last edited:
I like music from Folk to Classical but I am a Jazz man at heart,
Miles Davis, Grover Washington Jr. just to name a few and I also use to play percussion so other greats like Tito Puente and Max Roach are favs of mine.

The funny thing is I don't play music because I can't hear the phone, while I have the grinder running and watch the shop door for customers etc but I heard and played many of these songs so many times that I have a constant sound track shuffle mix going on in my head. LOL.

More Dylan

[video=youtube;Oj2CPqX-tLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj2CPqX-tLc&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

I love music

[video=youtube;rw0CEN9iTPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw0CEN9iTPc&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

I listen to that good old gospel music all day long in my shop and the radio preachers that come on from time to time,Bob Jones and J. Vernon McGee are my favorite.

A funny car song
[video=youtube;frRcDMGdTWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=frRcDMGdTWM[/video]

One of my all time favorites Mark Knopfler he does a few auto racing songs.

"All the road Running" w/ Emmylou Harris

Back