What in the He## was THAT!

Chris Railey

There I were forge welding up some Go-Mai and setting my first weld by hand and BAM sounded like a firecracker went off when I hit the steel. Scared me a little. I have forge welded quite a bit and NEVER had that before. What gives?

Sounded like a .22 rifle going off in my billet. A surprise to say the least. Shot hot flux and scale on my hand too.

Last edited:
Air pocket!
That, or water on the anvil. This can be used to help remove scale each heat. A number of smiths will wipe the anvil with a wet mop after each heat both to clean it from scale and to 'pop' scale off. I've done this before, but have yet to get in the habit of doing it regularly.
Shot hot flux and scale on my hand too.
Welcome to the club. If you plan on pursuing a career in hand modelling, I'll suggest getting in the habit of wearing gloves.

That, or water on the anvil. This can be used to help remove scale each heat. A number of smiths will wipe the anvil with a wet mop after each heat both to clean it from scale and to 'pop' scale off. I've done this before, but have yet to get in the habit of doing it regularly.

Welcome to the club. If you plan on pursuing a career in hand modelling, I'll suggest getting in the habit of wearing gloves.

It could have been water on my anvil it is mega humid here today and everything in the shop was sweating including me.

Back