What size belt sander is recommended for sanding handles for knife blanks?

Redshark

I want to start my knife making by putting handles on blanks. What size sander is recommended? I have only a small budget to start with, but really would like to do this as a hobby and perhaps to make a few dollars on the side. Any input is appreciated.

Welcome to KD!

I believe a small budget 1x30 would start you but, a bit more and get a 2x42 craftsman that would serve you a bit more. Besides if you find that this is not for you, it will be easier to sell and get some of your money back. This from a guy that started with a low end 2x72 on the back porch of the house. Not quite 3 years later I have more equipment than I can keep on my 4 benches and putting final touches on a new shop.

When this bug bites, it bites hard! Have fun with the journey you are about to start!

i have a 1 x30 just for handle work , its does the pins even nickel steel ones fine , a good range of belts inc scotchbrite clones and i even have a 1 inch leather belt for honing pocket folders to use with it , they are a handy little machine and it allows me to get inside my ring hilts

pic attached

i have a few belts that have seek lok ( version of velcro ), that are ok for slackbelt work that allow this sort of work

Attachments

• 966474_238169696364543_1196592088_o.jpg
    966474_238169696364543_1196592088_o.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 14
Thanks! I appreciate the info and the advice! I will be asking more questions in the future, as I am a complete rookie!

I would start with a good 3x21(or similar size)belt sander and a craftsman or porta-cable 4x36 sander. For $200 you can get both machines and a bunch of belts. the selection of belts for 4x36 is about even with 2x72. It seems 4x36 is a favorite of our brothers who do lapidary work and for mettalurgical labs. IMHO, the 4x36 is a great place to learn how to grind a knife, easy and quick if your blade is less than 4". Most 4x36 are set up so you can work with a platen and slack belt. a 3x21 is a good size for doing rough handle work and with the right belts finishing and shaping blades before and after HT.
again JMHO

Back