what steel holds the edge the longest for cutting?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Setting aside everything else, what steel holds a cutting edge the longest?

If I was a guessin' I would guess something like CPM M4. But that would just be a guess...

according to Crucible, it is S90V for any stainless steel. Further down in the file, it says 10V has the highest wear resistance of all knife steels.

Have a look at the .pdf file.

It's time we all start saving these .pdf's just in case Crucible folds.

Attachments

• dsknifemaker.pdf
    92.7 KB · Views: 21
I'm not much for the stainless steels, but O-1 is often overlooked for its edgeholding and cutting abilities.
According to the crucible data O-1 and A-2 are similar in performance as far as toughness and wear resistance. :eek:

I'm not much for the stainless steels, but O-1 is often overlooked for its edgeholding and cutting abilities.
According to the crucible data O-1 and A-2 are similar in performance as far as toughness and wear resistance. :eek:

I like O-1 myself. But I know the super steels say they are better...

For me, the best carbon steel has ben W2, but I don't use stainless or any of the super exotics like M4. W2 hold an edge a nice long time and it also can be sharpened up very quickly with rudimentary tools.

I've done experiments, and I can say that HT is just as important as alloy.

I have a knife made by Tai Goo (of all people) in W2 that has out performed S30V by Chris Reeves and VG10 in a Spiderco. The simplest of steel in the simplest of HT outperforming high tech. That is in cardboard and leather and hardwood. That was a real learning experience for me.

It is important to remember that edge retention is more frequently about edge stability than raw wear resistance. And the high carbide and stainless steels will usually come in last there. Hence A2 and O1 will frequently out perform the high vanadium Crucible stuff in the real world.

It is my own personal opinion that D2, when heat treated to address the retained austenite issues it is prone to, will hold a working edge in most applications better than any other commonly used steel out there.

It is my own personal opinion that D2, when heat treated to address the retained austenite issues it is prone to, will hold a working edge in most applications better than any other commonly used steel out there.

I agree Nathan D2 is some very good stuff .

I am familiar with some of the myriad of tests that have been attempted or done, including CATRA results for edge retention. The average hunter, who is unaware of these tests, may suprise us with their opinions.

Edge geometry and what is being cut can be huge factors. I remember field dressing a deer in a creek bottom where the deer was covered in sand. My CPM 3V knife at HRC 61-62 dulled before I finished. Impossible, I thought. I would normally say that my 3V holds a great edge, because of edge stability, but apparently not always. Yes, I have heard a wild boar can dull a knife quickly because of sand in the hide.

The steel that holds the best edge, is probably one I have not tried. I've used ATS 34, D2, CPM S30V, CPM 3V, CPM S90V, 1084, 1095, and 01.

My job I've worked at for 32 years is at a major food chain, Giant food of Md. Since going fulltime at knifemaking, I have since dropped back to part time at Giant. I stock at nite and probably have cut more cardboard, shrink wrap and plastic strap then most of you will see in a lifetime. My main tool is a box cutter but I do take the opportunity to test knives at work. Cardboard comes in many different densities. Some is much heavier where even a razor blade has a hard time passing through it.
The best edge holding steels I have tested are A2, O1, D2, CPM 154, 154CM and 440C. 440C does suprisingly well, keeping up with CPM 154.
Scott

Hey, is that Big Timber MT. I go thru there once in the while on my way to Bozeman. Might stop by. Lets get together sometime maybe.

D2 will hold an edge extremely well. My favorite "common steel"

I haven't tested many steels but O1 seems to hold an edge forever.

O7

If you like O1 try O7. Just remember, do almost all of your hand sanding before heat treat. After is not fun:eek:! At 63 Rc in the chef knife that I have I don't need to sharpen. And no it is not brittle, Larrin Thomas said to do it this way and the results are amazing. Dan

Hey, is that Big Timber MT. I go thru there once in the while on my way to Bozeman. Might stop by. Lets get together sometime maybe.

D2 will hold an edge extremely well. My favorite "common steel"

Wish I did live in Montana. Big timber is my way of saying in the woods.
Hey Daniel, where do you get O7?
Scott

Back