What you guys missed at ashokan

Delbert Ealy

Forum Owner-Moderator - Founder
Well after several days of recovery, here is some of what happened last weekend.
We started off friday evening with an amazing dinner as is usually the case followed by an introduction by Tim Zowada.
Dna Maragni was next with a list of books from his massive library. He said after 2 cullings he was able to get the list down to 49 of his very favorites. He was also kind enough to provide us with a printed list of all the books, several of which are now on my most wanted list. Dan is a great guy who has worked in the knife industry for many years, with some major production companies, though the only one that comes to mind right now is Cold Steel.
There was open forge after Dans lecture and a lot of reuniting with old friends. We stayed up late as usual, I don't think I made it to bed until 1:30 or so.
We woke up to a hearty breakfast and the it was Kevin Cashen talking about knife construction techniques. Jerry Rados was schuled to do the lecture, but he had to cancel at the last minute.
Kevin had a takedown knife that he brought with him to explain some of his fitting techniques, and did a wonderful job on the lecture.
As always with Kevins lectures, there is some great little piece of information to take away, that makes me think "why didn't I think of that?"
I have always how precisely Kevin can fit a guard on his knives and swords, now I know how he does it and I am still amazed.
more later, i have to go to work

Next up was blade forging by Tim Zowada.
You know I have forged quite a few blades, and didn't really expect anything new for me. I don't mean to say that it wasn't a good demo, is was a great demo, in fact Tim surprised me. He had forged the blade to shape and was working on the bevels, well the blade always curves up a bit at this stage. He took the blade over to the vise and straightened up the curve by clamping it in sideways and BAM it was straight. He then followed that trick with the comment that it was one of the things he picked up from Bill Moran.
Totally cool.

The next demo was by leatherworker Kenny Rowe.
It was a good demo with lots of little tips and tricks, the best one was when laying your sheath out, use a piece of posterboard, its a lot cheaper than leather. The few extra minutes it takes are more than justified by the cost savings in materials, especially if you screw up.

My lecture about damascus patterning was next, and although I was told that I did a good job, I took a little to long introducing myself, and ran out of time in the end. I did get to cover most of the material, but my conclusion was important and I didn't get to it.

Dell,
I had a great time at Ashokan as well. I enjoyed all you enjoyed but was also BLOWN AWAY by Roman Landes' presentations. In my intensive study and practice of honing, I had come to many of the same conclusions and practices as him but he explained the WHY of it. I went home a better person.

Howard
www.theperfectedge.com
hschechter@theperfectedge.com

AND, you'll notice in the pic that the infamous NJ Steel Baron Himself, Aldo Bruno, is supporting the propane tank in the background, obviously supervising the scene from a safe distance!:D

Last edited:
Back