Where I'm at..

smithy

Where I'm at after a couple of years...

I am a gold smith---I make small things. That's what I enjoy and that's what I am totally set up todo. But, I have mostly worked in non-ferrous metals. Not much in steel, but my enthusiasm was high.

I closed my retail store in 2012 at 70,retired (not really :)), set up a shop to do everything from forging,stock removal, heat treating oven (left over), a small vacuum chamber(left over) where knives were concerned. I had made some knives previously using blanks and loved doing it. Making knives.Especially, handles and guards... I even took a one-week course in how to make a knife. I was all set to go.

And reality has set in. It's all about the 'learning' curve. Practice, practice,practice is the correct way to learn, and I just don't have time for the learning curve. I would rather use and expand my present skill set to areas such as authentic Mokume Gane, and wax work.

So, here's where I'm at. I have gotten some blades from maker's I know and are know. I will design my own handles and guards. Most will 'art' knives. I will sign them on the front and engrave the blades author on the back. Give credit where credit is due. Those will probably be all of the full size knives Imake.

Now on to miniatures...

There are other learning curves that Imust master to have fun. One is how to take, organize and post pictures. Tracy has been a lot of help, thanks. Another is reloading ammunition and sharpening up my shooting as my eyes have gotten old.Imagine that...

My mantra...If it isn't fun, don't do it.

Thanks for listening. I have made a lot of good friends here and I don't planning on going anywhere.

Last edited:
Hay old man don't run off,I know what you mean about finding time for everything.I have every intention of making some mokume gane but the knives and scrimshaw keep me so busy I don't know when I will get around to it.Please stay active here we need your graving and casting knowledge !

I want to do it all, but as you said it's about time, I'm 64 and retired, thought I would have tons of time to learn it all,no.
I've always wanted to learn lost wax casting and found the complete set , centrifuge, wax injector tons of wax vac. pump etc. everything needed except crucibles and it sets idol because of the learning curve. Engraving, no way will I have time to learn more than very basic strokes.
I started the knifemaking quest with a forge in the '80s and later switched to stock removal when I realized it wasn't that rewarding for me. Now it's choices between fixed blades and folder, folders are winning out as I enjoy the small tedious work, the grinder not so much.

Teddy , glad you are staying I know you have a wealth of knowledge to share and I'm looking forward to seeing your work, I think you've made a wise decision to narrow your focus.

Teddy, it's good to have the interest and desire to do the things that make you happy. Life's road has many forks and turns. Don't be afraid to get off the main road and explore the road less traveled. I retires 3 years ago, moved to my new home here with my very own shop. I can do as much, or as little, as I feel like on any given day out there. Or I can go hunting, fishing, down to see my kids and grand kids, go for a walk, what ever I choose to do. But I don't have to go to work in the real world for a paycheck anymore. Life is good. I'm glad to hear you'll still hang out here, and I look forward to seeing your work here. And by all means, do what ever gives you pleasure. Life is too short not to. Have fun.

I can remember back, I'm older than you by the way, when artists like you into the casting and jewellery making were offering castings for sale. I believe a popular one was the half horse half alligator. Perhaps you have some you could offer? I saw a few pieces you made for one of the members. They looked terrific. I wish I had an idea or to send you, Teddy. I thought of that as soon as I saw what you had made.
Go in the direction your passion takes you! If someone does encourage you to make this or that and it feels good, then travel that road until it runs out.
My best to you. Frank

Teddy when I retired I was probably one of the youngest retirees in my group. Now at 61 being retired I am a full time bladesmith that enjoys leather crafting, wood turning, gun smithing, photography, and the grand kids. There are a lot of other things I would like to do but, I know the feeling about not having enough time to do it all. I feel your concerns.

One just has to do what feels good when you wake up in the morning and some days that's just plain old nothing!

Glad to hear you are staying with us as your insight and kindness is greatly appreciated by us all. I enjoy all your post and the fact that you know what you want to do with your time.

Looking forward to your next projects that you will find interesting to share.

Last edited:
Teddy My friend!
Do what you like and say what you mean cause those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind!

You have excellent talents to enrich in your life so do what makes you happy!

Teddy, I'm happy for you. Not many people know what they want to do with their time. You have a talent that can be used to add bling to knives.
I hope you stick with Knife Dogs, you have a lot to add to the pound.

I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you make--someone with your skills will surely impress. And if you need something else to do, I may have a project or two to send your way. And if you really get into making mokume, we'll need to talk.

Back