Why are tracking wheels "crowned"?

REK Knives

seems to me like they should be concave in the center to track much easier and better... I am having trouble w/ my NWG - the belt is slipping to one side of the tracking wheel or the other instead of staying in the middle... causing serious issues. any ideas? thanks

haha, you can tell that you have some experience... yeah, it is. i checked everything and i will have to work on it... the tracking wheel is crooked, will have to reman that tracking assembly. so after it is all alligned properly i shouldn't have any issue? i guess not since KMG uses the same...

thank you! I am not sure i understand exactly the principles behind it, but seems like its generally accepted and with good reason =)

On the KMG grinder both the drive wheel and tracking wheels are crowned. That does seem to help rather than having only one wheel crowned. I started with only the drive wheel crowned and tracking was more sensitive, and while some belts tracked with no wobble, some did have a bit of wobble. I crowned the tracking wheel also, and now the grinder really tracks nicely. An easy test is to wrap some tape around center of the tracking wheel or the drive wheel (or both) to add some crown and see if that helps the belts track with no wobble. Of course, the tension arm MUST be aligned.

Good luck, Ken H>

Make sure all of the axis' are parallel with each other, and that the center of the wheels are on a plane, and I'll bet a lot of you problems go away.

I fought my KMG for quite a while, until I figured out that the wheels were not all in alignment.

Not only were they not coplanar, the drive was mounted crooked.

Back