Why didnt i think of that ?

AkWildman

I've been wanting to try some quench plates for a while and I was talking to my buddy who is a serious motor head with a complet machine shop in his garage about it ,I asked him if he knew were I could pick up some scrap aluminium of the right size.We don't have scrap yards in Alaska.He said shoot lets just pour some.He has a bunch of junk heads and he said let's just melt a couple of heads down and pour it in a mold made out of this 6 inch channel with some dams and then machine them flat.It helps that he has a crucible.I never thought of that ,shoot I have a big lead mealting pot I could do it myself if I wanted to.I just thought what a great idea and thought I would pass it along.

Just one of the joys of living in Alaska - you've got to learn to do yourself!!! {grinning}. That's neat - something I'm going to do one of these days - melt some aluminum and pour something...... just got to get a crucible to melt in, and something for the mold. Aluminum melts just a tad over 1200ºF - the electric oven will handle that just fine.... heck, it'd even melt copper (just barely) since oven is rated for 2200ºF.

Ken H>

Back