Why no 440c?

bodam

I'm new to knife making, and typically buy only 400c, mostly for cost, and because Texas Knife Makers only air quench.

I never see see any other custom makers using 400c.

Is is there a reason? If it's inferior as a knife blade, is there a better steel that is air quench? I'd prefer to not ship out for HT right now, since I'm keeping cost down as a new builder.

I'm new to knife making, and typically buy only 400c, mostly for cost, and because Texas Knife Makers only air quench.

I never see see any other custom makers using 400c.

Is is there a reason? If it's inferior as a knife blade, is there a better steel that is air quench? I'd prefer to not ship out for HT right now, since I'm keeping cost down as a new builder.
People still use it. Nothing wrong with it. More modern stainless alloys have replaced it for the most part. I think the reason is the cheap China knives use 440, but they don't say 440C. They are 440A & 440B which are worthless for knives. It basically gave it a bad reputation. More modern alloys like 154CM and S30V seem to be more popular. My two cents

No! I and many other custom makers and production makers as well use 440C! I also use CPM-154 which is sort of a Hybrid powder 440C.
But for Culinary & Hunters 440C is an excellent steel that keeps a toothy edge from the large carbide clumps and continues to cut in the field or kitchen.

440C is still one of the most common used air-hardening stainless steels around. If it came out today, it would be the new daring in price & performance.

Cool. I'm gonna stay with it for now. Thoughts on atm-34? That's also air quench right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use a lot of 440-C but a couple years ago something seem to happen with it, at least in my experience. I couldn't get a good mirror polish on it. I tried three different suppliers and I just couldn't get the finish I was used to getting. I can only assume they changed the process in making it some how. it does make a good hunting-skinning knife. I switched to CPM-154.

I'm not even close to getting mirror lol. My best is 400 grit finish.

I can't wait to get a real grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At one time for stainless blades I used only 440-C and lots of it for straight knives. I then went to ATS-34 and now CPM-154, Elmax, M390, and now quite a bit of ABL-E. I do believe 440-C is not quite the steel these others are and I'm referring to grinding, finishing, edge holding, and user sharpening. I did a bunch of simple testing with knives of the same styling and found ATS-34 had about 20% more edge holding in use. M390, Elmax and ABL-E are much better using knives than the 440-C. Sure it's not bad but it can easily be replaced by other stainless air quenching steels that will do better. With respect for the opinions and knowledge of other makers. Frank

Back