Wierd kitchen knives - Boker Gorm

Z.Heiner

Aren't we all trying to reinvent the wheel sometimes? As I sketch out designs, I find myself incorporating the designs of those knives I see so artfully displayed here, and in print. I enjoyed looking at the Boker Gorm line, as it is outside the norm for what we would typically find in a kitchen setting. My goal is to try and make something similar.

What other weird designs are out there to inspire me? Any favorites?

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=BO130461

Deffinitely an interesting design. It reminds me more of a combat/utility/chopper than a kitchen knife.

Definitely looks like a serious case of style over substance to me. I don't even like the style much. Certainly wouldn't want it in my kitchen. Among other things the short hollow grind is anti-functional for that sort of kitchen knife.

Interesting, but I don't think I'd buy it either, unless I got to use it and said WOW.
The description is outstanding, as you would expect, but I agree with Dan that the short grind does not look as functional as it could be.
That one could be modified some and perhaps be different enough while being "sweet" in hand.
Dozier

I always appreciate maker's who look to find new twists on things but kitchen knives is where I draw defined lines in what I want/need.

Thin geometry with correct profile (for knife type) and proper handle configuration (with proper handle material) are the key things.

After all that is fulfilled then steel properties and heat treat come into play and after all that is correct it's then OK to do some funky one off stuff. The funk shouldn't come before the important stuff or it's then just junk. :)

Definitely looks like a serious case of style over substance to me. I don't even like the style much. Certainly wouldn't want it in my kitchen. Among other things the short hollow grind is anti-functional for that sort of kitchen knife.

+1

To put it in blunt, crude and offensive words, it looks disgusting, like so many of the products where makers or manufacturers superimpose their normal styles onto kitchen knives, with little to no understanding of or respect for kitchen knives.

I an no expert and my involvment here is to meet great people and learn how to make good kitchen knives. As for that knife yea it looks a little funky but so did Ken Onions Santuko Shun mass produced. A friend who heled with the design has one and i got to see it first hand touch it use it feel it ect. I got to tell you that there are some keen design elements to this (Onions) Santuko that I will start playing with because I actually felt it.
I dont see anything wrong with the grind since I doubt it was designed as a slicing knife but more of a hybrid between a Santuko and perhaps a Mezzulana and maybe a little Deba geometry. I'd like to try it and I think I have some understanding of kitchen knives being a Culinary Instructor and Chef for 25 years. Yes it is funky looking but might be extremely ergonomically sound and a great tool, I just need to try it first.
Molecular Gastronomy, Sous Vide passing fads? maybe but look up Modernist Cuisine the new book coming out...Yes things do change and evolve and new ideas didn't stop with Escoffier.
IMHO

I dont see anything wrong with the grind since I doubt it was designed as a slicing knife but more of a hybrid between a Santuko and perhaps a Mezzulana and maybe a little Deba geometry.

That makes no sense.

been there ttried that
about 4 years ago i made this one and it didnt get good feedback for amy of the chefs i passed it around to
DSC02571sm.jpg

Butch, I remember that one, you did that back before you knew better. LOL :D

Your kitchen knives kick ass now though!

Sorry c-9, of the numerous knives I have collected as a chef for 25 years that is the best way I could explain it. You'd have to see many of my knives to compare and then you might see what I do. Just one chefs opinion,

been there ttried that
about 4 years ago i made this one and it didnt get good feedback for amy of the chefs i passed it around to
Thanks for posting the photo, as that is very similar to what I considered pursuing. I will have to research your posts to see where you have progressed from here.

Also thanks to rreidiii, as I had never seen the ken onion shun series. They are quite funky!

Back