Workbench Layout Input

madupree

Looking for some input on the best possible layout of stationary tools of where they will be mounted on the workbench i have, the etching machine & the granite surface plate (although it weighing 75lbs, i am not going to want to pull it out repeatedly daily)would probably not have to be stationary. I will most likely build an additional 5' long workbench also. I'm right handed btw if that affects anything.

Couldn't agree more. Mine is 4' X 8' set in the middle of the shop, approachable on all sides, and it still isn't big enough.

Wallace

Don't use the pool table either, the wives usually frown on the expansion of the shop into the living space, even if you cover the table completely, LOL. I agree with what's been said though, always make it as big as your space will functionally allow of course, with most of the thought going into it, as you are doing, before you cut the first piece of wood. I have limited space so I need to shuffle stuff up from under the table now and then, but looks like your on the right track.

Wayne

Is that drawing what you've got as far as space? You're going to be really crowded! Even with another 5' bench, I'm afraid you'll be crowded with all that. Is the drill press a bench-model or floor? I'd say the 4'10" bench would be taken up almost completely with just the grinder. You have to have room beside the grinder to set blanks, jigs, cup of coffee, etc. Might be enough for a bench-top drill press too, but seems crowded.

I have an 8' bench and a 5' bench and I am constantly shuffling things around to a shelf below bench. The big one is for knife making, the smaller for sheath making. My drill press, mill, disc sander, lathe, etc. are all floor models. I also have a bandsaw and now a HT oven on yet another bench. I'm sure there are a lot of guys with less space, but if you're really crowded and constantly having to move stuff, it sure sucks the fun out of it.

This going into a garage? Might have to make the wife park outside.:1:

Place the grinder on the far right with the belt hanging over the floor. When a belt breaks (notice that I said when not if) the belt will probably fall to the floor. If there is table under the belt it may bounce up and hit you in the face. I promise you that getting hit in the face with a new 36 grit belt is not fun. I have seen it happen to another maker and it was not pretty. It would be better, if you have the room to have the table away from the wall with room to walk around it. Put a shelf under the table top, about midway.

I've decided to mount the grinder on a small table by itself away from the other tables (like Aaron Gough has his) that way I have plenty of space on all sides of it. Will probably put the surface plate on that workbench since theyll be used hand in hand. The drill press I'll be getting is a bench-top. I think I'll mount it in the center with the kydex press on one side and the Rivet Press on the other and put my etching area on another workbench that will also be used to do finishing (that bench might be indoor) anything I shouldn't do indoors? I know epoxy will give off some slight fumes and am unsure of whether etching metal will give off fumes or not.

Chem etching by the exterior door same for the epoxy is my suggestion. Try and have kydex presd clear of dust an debri due to the soft when hot materials pick up junk you dont want on or in press or sheath.

Chem etching by the exterior door same for the epoxy is my suggestion. Try and have kydex presd clear of dust an debri due to the soft when hot materials pick up junk you dont want on or in press or sheath.

Ah good idea!! Maybe move the kydex making inside and leave the etching and epoxy outdoors.....

on bench layout, id your most used tool and place it so you have easy access. your description of what you are going to do, make a separate stand for your grinder(once you buy it) and arrange the others for ease of access. for dust collection, i would start with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/G8027-Grizzly-1-HP-Dust-Collector-/271676080633?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
View attachment 53039

Yea but I also read alot of people worry about fires when grinding metal and other particles together. Most of the dust collection setups I see are hand made

I was in a wood working friends shop when he was grinding a metal part he needed while running on of those. About 30 minutes after he stopped we smelled smoke. It was smothering in the unit. Luckily was were still there. That caused me to add two fire extinguishers to my shop. I use one of these for my wood working and a shop vac system for my grinder.

Shop vac and pvc pipe trough under the grinder or use some aluminum dryer ducting to make a trough. Most of the set ups Ive seen have a bucket of water under the grinder.

while grinding blades does make some dust, the super fine dust that goes everywhere especially in the eyes and nose is from handle material, whether wood or the plastic of the hour. a bucket of water under the kmg would take care of most of the dust and take care of fire issues. this unit is big enough,500 cfm, just running near where you are working with no hoses should help keep dust down.

I put the "dirtiest" machines closest to an outside door if possible.....easier to leave the door open on nice days for easier cleanup.

Also putting the dirtier machine closer to the door you could set up a chute or vac sysytem to remove dust and bits into a drum out side.

Also....do not too carried away about dust control. Unless you have tons of money at your disposal and a VERY elaborate and well designed system, at best your only going to get maybe 50% of the dust under wraps. It's a never ending battle that you will not win. I have been down the dust control road before in woodworking and the best advice I can give you is clean up after each use of your shop and keep the outside door open when your able ....vent as much as you can to the outside using fans. Most dust control systems that are affordable for us working class men are just exspensive "dust pumps". I speak from experience.

Back