Working with dry ice questions

BobbyD

Getting ready to to HT my first batch of Abel. I have never worked with dry ice so have a couple of ?? The closet place that sells it is about 35 mins from me. It will be close to two hrs probably before I can use it. Will it keep in a cooler for that long? They sell it in one pound blocks. How many pounds will I need for 5 knives? Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks

John Wilson

It will hold. Just put it in a cooler, the smaller the better. I’d get two pounds because you will lose some before you use it.

IJM3567

I had 4lbs of dry ice in rice form so very small pellets and that lasted over 24hours in a cooler. I'd agree that two 1lb blocks with whichever liquid you use should be fine for 5 knives just start heat treating when you get home.

bladegrinder

Put your alcohol in a refrigerator, as soon as you pour it in the ice starts to sublimate, and fast in my opinion.
I use 1/4" aluminum plates with AEBL in dry ice because I've found they'll warp in the ice too. being I use plates, my container is pretty big so I end up using 4-5 pounds but where I buy it I can't really find it packaged in just 2-3 pounds.
I try to have at least 4-6 blades to do in succession to offset the cost.

I made a foam filled container for the bath, here in Fl. I'm fighting the heat year round so this thing helps and surprisingly acetone doesn't affect the foam at all.
I would recommend wearing safety glasses when pouring the alcohol on the ice. good luck and hopefully they'll come out straight.
on thin blades they were warping on me.
8nfJW1m.jpg

Owl

Gold Membership
I got some 1/2"x2"x12" aluminum plates and drilled a hole in each end for a 5/16" bolt.
I sandwich each blade between two of these immediately after the plate quench, and they stay in there through cryo ( I use LN ) and during tempering. I haven't had warps since I started doing this.
I suppose you could put more than one blade in each "sandwich" but I haven't tried that.

bladegrinder

With smaller blades, yes I can get two between my plates and like Owl, their in plates when I temper them too.
I got fed up with the warping and do everything I can with AEBL to prevent it. I've used thicker and never had problems it just seems to be .100 and thinner for the most part. AEBL is a real head scratcher when it come to warping.

Gliden07

I use RV Antifreeze as suggested by Boss Dog in the video he did. I am gonna try the plates for cryo. I have been having problems with warping on my fillets so I'm gonna give that a shot. I have some extruded aluminum angle I think will work?