yard sale find 25$

I have a race car coil spring that was never used a friend gave it to me a couple of years back. I have made many a punch or chisel from that spring and it was a third the size of that one.

That's a big coil spring - should be lots of blades in that.
I look at this spring and my mind goes. What does the man who had this do for a living? Obviously not a knife maker or he would not have sold it!!

Did you watch the episode of FIF where they made knives from a spring, I marveled as how little of one of those coils you actually need to forge a knife!! There is a pile of knives in that spring!! Your biggest thing is getting it hot and un-curling it! To be able to draw it out!!

It took about an hour to forge out , if I were going to do this for a living I'd be getting me a hyd press or some how move from 69 to 29 if I figure out the latter I will let you all know how to do it.

Well my unknown steel spring will have a name soon , my brothers boy works for a scrap yard that can do the chemical analysis , should have an answer tomorrow.

That is a BIG spring for sure. No wonder it only took only a couple inches to forge a blade. I'm following this thread to see what the analysis winds up being.

The spring turns out to be 4130 I don't think it has enough carbon ( 28% to 35%) to make for a lasting edge , I welcome any input from my fellow makers.

Thanks for the follow up post Fred - so much for the idea that all springs are 5160!

so much for the idea that all springs are 5160!
About a month ago, I pulled a thick axle spring but found it marked S4110. It seems like low carbon, too. Weird thing was all my research only turned up 4110 stainless. Its not stainless.
The spring turns out to be 4130
I know where there are four, locally, just like yours, if I remember right. I was thinking about getting them, but now maybe I don't need too. Thanks Fred. Your post and time saved me money and land ownership hassle.

Back