Yea, but it's a different kind of heat

bladegrinder

Man, it's been friggin HOT lately...for the last five days my shop was 100, today it hit 102 and the feels like temp was 109.
I cut up some downed trees on my property and did some tractor work for about three hours in the morning, then spent the rest of the day in the shop.
it's actually not bad in there with fans running and drinking a lot of water but out in the sun it's brutal! up in the North Florida Panhandle

It's going to be a long hot summer, and it's not even July yet. even the wasp's that are usually flying around seem to be gone except a few I've seen hitting the ground in my shop, passing out I presume, only to be squashed.

In spokane area we are just opposite. Been longest wettest and mild temps that I can remember. Don't think we broke 80 officially. Fired up forge for a small job and it barely broke 90 in shop.. Course when it does decide to warm and all this grass dries out that'll be another story. Got to love mother nature, she'll always find a way to screw with you

Yep, now the chill of winter is over I guess it's time to start forging some here in Baldwin co. Yea, sure - it's HOT outside.

When I do work outside it's for an hour, then back in shop to cool while studying (wasting time?) on the internet. Those rabbit trails sure can kill a lot of time.

@Coop: you're right, retirement is GREAT!!! I wish I could have retired when I was 40 :)

It's already crazy hot up here in the high desert of SoCal. the 10-day forecast is above 93 everyday with about 4 days over 100...

I usually roll my belt grinder and disc sander out into the driveway to save me some clean up, but not in that heat!

We’ve had a few days above 90 already here about 7 miles from the IL/WI border and less then a mile from Lake Michigan. This is really early for us, as it usually doesn’t start to hit 60 consistently until the beginning of June. Had a couple cooler days this week only about 80 and a little much-needed drizzle today. Back up in the 90s next week. :(

I'm thank full I have wood heat in the winter and AC in the summer in my shop. Now if I just had more time to spend in the shop. Come on retirement. 6 months not that I'm counting.
I retired this month last year, your going to love it. I find quite often I forget what day it is.

right there with ya ! i'm in the big bend area near the suwannee and it was 85 in the shop with the a/c runnin full blast - i don't even go outside except to retreat to the house !
I use to do a lot of hog hunting around Otter Creek and Ceder Key.

We’ve had a few days above 90 already here about 7 miles from the IL/WI border and less then a mile from Lake Michigan.
Mile, you must be about on the South side ofd Zion, ILL? I lived in Zion for a couple yrs back when I was 21 to 23 yr old. I had 3 Uncles who lived in Zion for many years. LOTS of us Southern folks lived up there. Is Zion still a dry city? I remember restraints that had a line painted down thru the dining area - on one side you could order booze, but other side of line was dry. Next table over sometimes.

Yep, now the chill of winter is over I guess it's time to start forging some here in Baldwin co. Yea, sure - it's HOT outside.

When I do work outside it's for an hour, then back in shop to cool while studying (wasting time?) on the internet. Those rabbit trails sure can kill a lot of time.

@Coop: you're right, retirement is GREAT!!! I wish I could have retired when I was 40 :)
Wish I could remember 40.

Mile, you must be about on the South side ofd Zion, ILL? I lived in Zion for a couple yrs back when I was 21 to 23 yr old. I had 3 Uncles who lived in Zion for many years. LOTS of us Southern folks lived up there. Is Zion still a dry city? I remember restraints that had a line painted down thru the dining area - on one side you could order booze, but other side of line was dry. Next table over sometimes.

Well, then you definitely know the area, or at least the area then. Zion is about three miles, I suppose. What used to be the county area south of Zion incorporated as Beach Park to avoid annexation. Zion is still dry and bars outside each end of town are always busy. You’d be surprised just how much Zion has expanded successfully. My mom was Zion PD/FD dispatcher for a few years right around 1960.

If you knew Zion, then you may remember the town north was called Winthrop Harbor. I spent age 5-12 in what was then a tiny rural town, growing up in the woods and swamp. It was great. WH had a significant population of people from both Alabama and Mississippi. The joke used to be that you simply asked, “So, are you from Tupelo, or RedBay?” When we moved, I apparently had an accent, because I got asked repeatedly if I was from the South. LOL My wife is from Winthrop Harbor and graduated from Zion High School.

And then we moved back to Waukegan and my world changed. I’d never been at the point of a knife before 7th grade. Now I suddenly had to learn a different skillset. Interesting, those sudden changes we all experience during life.

So, you were here in the early ’70s? Did you work at the nuke construction site, by any chance? I had a lot of buds at that station.

PS: apologies for the Off Topic and if TMI. I tend to be perhaps too open.

Last edited:
This is the "Dog Run" where "off topic" stuff is posted. I don't think there's a problem sharing. As I've gotten older (old as dirt) I realize some of the "private" stuff isn't really all that private and what's the big deal anyway. Just sharing old memories.

Yes, I do remember Winthrop Harbor quite well. I lived most of the time right on the north edge of Zion. This was way back in 1967/1968 time frame. So my memory is sorta fuzzy about some details. I worked as a welder, then in tool room as tool sharpening at Allis Chambers in Deerfield I think it was.

I took my coldest motorcycle ride one winter up there - it was -10°F one morning. I cranked the old Harley and took a ride - short ride, just a few blocks to say I did it. Roads were iced over, but the ice was so cold it wasn't even very slick at all.

Yep, Waukegan did have some tough parts of town, like North Chicago.

You're right about how many folks in that area were from a 50 mile radius of Red Bay, AL. In the late '60s it was sorta the tail end of the big Southern migration to the north. Dad, Mom, and me (I was 3 to 4 yr old) would move to Zion to work the winter months to make enough money to farm, Come spring planting Dad would take us back home to the farm for work. This only happened 2 or 3 winters, then Dad had the farm paid off and didn't have to go back north. Dad was a farmer who did NOT like factory work.

Ahhh, those old memories.

Amazingly small world for being so big!

I remember a couple kids in classes up in Winthrop Harbor days where the kids would get pulled from classes every year to go back down South to harvest. They were a couple years older than us because of those educational delays.

Riding in -10F must have been harrowing. My wife and I did a lot of cold-weather riding the first winter I had the bike, but I doubt we were ever out below about 20F. Even that was frigid on hands and face. I had bought myself a Schott bomber coat, the one like an inside-out sheep, and I would ride with that at 20F with a T-shirt so I wouldn't sweat. That was one neat winter. Dang, I miss my bike...

As for factories, well, we had a lot of them local, then, as you know. They're all gone now. Pa mustered out of the Navy here and went to work at the US Steel plant drawing wire, 37 years in that hell hole that would eventually kill him at 67 with cancer from the nasty burnt grease and lye in the air from the rod lube. Nowadays, the factories are all gone, the nuke's gone, and about the only major employer in the area is the pharma company I worked for, Abbott/AbbVie. Times change...

That's pretty cool to me to find out you spent time up here, Ken! Thanks for mentioning it!

BTW, my profile says "Green Town, IL" rather than Waukegan. Green Town is the fictional name science fiction author Ray Bradbury used to describe his hometown in his stories. I loved recognizing the little corners of town he described.

oh yeah - lots of pigs in that area ! occasionally see road kill - we used to hunt them in the aucilla mgmt area (if you know where that is)
Yea I know where Aucilla is, I use to hunt around Steinhatchee too, A friend had hunting property in Otter Creek and we use to hunt hogs year round. one time we had five at the cleaning station skinning them out and you could see the corn feeder from there, there were more there feeding, my friend said what do you want to do? I said man, I'm running out of steam. we just left them. I remember that trip because it was like 100 degrees out, after cleaning them hogs I was finished.
that was some crazy hog hunting on his property, every time I went we were knocking them down. :D
I do all my hunting up in the panhandle now.

Here was my best hog, the scale said #275 but I think he was bigger than that.
RhyctMo.jpg

damn ! thats a beast - sure looks to be more than 275 to me
last hunt in aucilla was about 20 years ago, myself and 3 other guys killed 9 pigs in 2 days chasing them in the sawgrass using buckshot

Back