Year in review, my first twelve months in the knife hobby.

Self Made Knives

Well, I've been a part of this hobby now for exactly one year. I first became interested in making a knife back in 1996 when I heard about a local knife making club. I went to one of the club meetings to check it out, but it wasn't a hands on kind of meeting, just in a room at a community building. Ran right out and bought a stick of O1. I did get very interested, but had just got married, had just bought my first house, had just started a new job, etc. The internet wasn't so great back then either, nothing like the info available today, so it just never happened.

Fast forward to 2014. I built a new shop in 2013 and was still unpacking, sorting, and came across that stick of O1 in a box. I realized I had been toting that stick around for close to twenty years. Time to follow through. Hopped on the now 20 yr older internet and got really fired up and in January built a filing jig.
My filing jig 1.jpg

Filed the bevels and profile of my first knife all by hand and was very proud of it (doesn't look so great to me now). Found an old pottery kiln to heat treat it with and tried my hand at home brew Parkerizing.

February through April, decided I didn't like filing bevels, contacted Wayne Coe before I ever heard of this forum, found him through Youtube. Got his plans and built a 2x72 which turned out pretty nice.
my grinder 5.jpg

April through May, finished grinder and started on knife #2, which I gave to my daughter for her 10th birthday. It was a little better than the first one.
molly knife 3.jpg

May to June, decided to go back and remake the first knife again, now with the 2x72. In this pic, the one with the handle wrapped was #1 and the naked one was #3. Being new, not paying attention, I accidentally ground a huge gouge in the top edge of the knife while trying to flatten the handle area, hence, the swedge and clipped point.
lancers.jpg

When I first became interested in knife making back in 1996, it was because I wanted to make my own pocket knife. That was still high on my list, so I tackled that with knife #4 in June to July. Came out pretty good, getting better on grinding too. Also about the time I joined this forum.

First folder 1.jpg

August to September, hunting season was coming soon, so I needed to build a hunting knife. I wanted to try stainless, filework, more interesting handle material, etc. Sit down and drew out my design, went to work. Result, my best work so far, by a long shot. This was the first knife I made that I don't see any real flaws in, very happy!
4.jpg3.jpg

October through December, started using Facebook and selling my Lancer paracord survival knives. I've sold several of them and have orders for about 20 more pending.
lancer 4.jpglancer 3.jpglancer 2.jpg

Hopefully, 2015 will just get better. I'm getting a lot of requests for hunting knifes. I have a guy who has a knife shop asking about selling my stuff. Another guy who makes hunting videos for Youtube has approached me about a project. I'm not in it for money, I just think this a very rewarding hobby that allows you to recoup your costs by selling your product.

Thanks for all the help guys, it wouldn't be the same without you. Looking forward to this year!

Anthony:

Great post! Very interesting and your product is outstanding. I started about the same time you did and I built about 35 knives in 2014 with a HF 1 X 30. Currently waiting on the delivery of the 2 X 72 that I just bought. I'm pretty happy with my product and I have had similar luck selling my knives. Good Luck in 2015!

Wallace

Hey, Wallace, gather up some pics and do a recap post like this one, I'd love to see it. 35 so far? You're cranking them out a lot faster than me, I'm finishing about #12 or 13 now I think, with 3 or 4 more roughed out. You'll love the new grinder, it'll be a whole different ball game.

Hey guys this is great I was planning on doing the exact same thing.
I will try to get something together and post up.
Anthony they are looking good and I like that folder alot.
2015 should be great!

Like Wallace, when I made my first post I hit that 10 pic limit, still haven't figured out pics completely on here. Anyway, just read Jason's review, and Justin's earlier. Good stuff. I got to thinking again about my first year some more, I left out some things I guess. I built/converted an old horizontal bandsaw into a table top machine and then later converted it to 3 phase variable speed. I would have never even thought about doing that if not for wanting to cut out knife blanks. I made a knife vise that I use the crap out of now. Came up with a homebrew positive pressure respirator system. Went to my first hammer-in. Built an electo-etcher. Made some youtube videos and WIP's, and a dozen other things.

My point I guess is that when you think about it, this crazy hobby gets into your system and you find yourself building, buying, and making things that you otherwise would never even have thought about. Have all you other "newbies" found it to be the same for you? Has it changed you too?

Hey Anthony!
Yah, it is like some bad obsession that I have no way of explaining to my wife....
With my daughters being 15, 13 and 11, my schedule is such that if I get a couple hours a week to work on knives... that is good.
You, Justin and Wallace are making me envious. I will keep plugging away though.
I totally agree about the tools. I have file guides, edge finders, surface plate, 2x72, 4x48/12 disc combo...the garage is getting full!

Jason you are right my wife and I were just talking about the love hate relationship she has with my knifemaking.
Anthony I think you nailed it, it has changed me for sure. For the most part in a good way, I have worked 2 jobs for about the last 5 years. I used to work game days on the Kansas City Royals grounds crew I would get off my full time job and go home for about an hour then down to the stadium and prep the field and work until the game was over sometimes wouldn't get home til 1am. I have since quite that and now spend that time making knives which is better I get to be home and after the wife and kid go to bed I go down and work.
There has been a few times where I have had to take a step back and give it a rest because I was spending to much time wrapped up in it. I think mainly because I'm one of those guys when I do something I want to do it right and to the best of my ability which requires a lot of focus.

I am just getting into this addic..... errr hobby. My wife is a bit puzzled as to how I could go through so much 150 grit paper till I started sanding a knife in the living room to be part of the family. I am glad to have found this forum and made some friends and gotten lots of advice. Anthony, if you hadnt said there was an error on the knife I wouldnt have known. I'm only about 6mo in and still have so much learn.

Hey, guys. It's a little different with me. I am over twice your ages (70 this year) and this is about my 3rd or 4th addiction/compulsion. I have been doing this stuff my whole life, all while working, and I am well aware and used to the way I act when I get into a new one. First, I am addicted to tools and their use. Second, I am addicted to natural materials (minerals and wood for a couple) and their use in "projects". And third, I am addicted to art. Art in the sense of what men and women can produce with their hands and tools. The last ingredient that completes this perfect disease is that I have a small amount of God given artistic talent. All of that ends up making me think that whatever see I can build or make - I cant but I think I can.

So here is how it goes: 1. I see something I want to make or build. 2. I learn everything I can about it - read, talk about it to anyone who will listen, videos, internet, suppliers, particularly suppliers because I have to know what tool are available to do it, etc, etc. 3. Start buying materials and tools that I don't already have from previous addictions - in this case a steel, HF 1 X 30 grinder and belts, wood blocks, metal cutting band saw, files, knife vice, finishes, etc, etc. After all that, I make it - one, then another, then another, hopefully each one better that the last.

Some of my previous addictions are:

Woodworking

Reloading

Taxidermy

Architectural Modeling

Golf club building

Lapidary

Silversmithing

and now knifemaking.

The one thing that is different this time is my willingness to build my own tools and mods for knifemaking. Mostly before the tools were very specialized and I couldn't build to the tolerances needed to do the job. Also, I have been fortunate financially in my life, so I could afford to buy them. Now it is almost the reverse, I can't buy something that will do the job better than something I can make. I also built my etcher just for fun. I thought silversmithing was going to be my last addiction (I did it for almost 10 years) but then I started making knives. Selling jewelry is mostly to women. They see something you have made and say "well, I like it but could you do this or could you do that?" maddening! Men look at something and say,"I want THAT - - NOW!!! - and then I want another one like this". Plus, knifemaking really gets me back to the things I love the most so this might be my last addiction. Thanks for listening,

Wallace

Hey now there was no need for the age/ol fart card. Lol And you only have 30yrs on me. Lol There is alot of wisdom and mabbe some hard lessons on those 30yrs more life too. Anthony I have a similar bdu uniform some where but it says Army on it.

Thanks, I'm looking forward the 2nd year in this addiction! I've spent the most of my time in this first year learning the very basics and getting shop setup, building tools, etc, more so than working on knives. I feel free now to focus on just making them, trying new techniques, and developing my own style and designs. Still got to make the ones customers are asking for, but I'm forcing myself to slip in what "I" want to make too.

Great post fellas! I'm going on 14 months. Wow, ya'll made me think how much my shop has evolved in that short time. Like most of you I went from hand filing to a 2x42 crapsman (which I did a poor mans variable speed transformation on) to a 2x72. I bought 2 drill presses, a wood band saw, I'm rebuilding a free metal bandsaw ( to give the portaband a rest), a kiln, 2 table saws, and the list goes on! Thank god for craigslist and machines made in the 40's.
I sure hope we all can be enjoying our passions into our 70's. God bless guys, and keep pursuing what ya love!
All that time and I'm still trying to make a decent knife.

Back