Yet another Grinder Question

Dacks

The sheer number of times this question has been asked on knife forums would sink a battleship.... I'm sure of that. However, because I've never asked one, its now my turn to add additional ballast to the topic.

I'm about to hit the "Buy" button on a new grinder and retire my well-worn 1x30 Delta from active service. I have two options in mind:

1: Kalamazoo 2x48"
2fs21.jpg

Or

2: Kalamazoo 2x72"
2fs7221.jpg

I have a 1hp, or a 1/2 hp motor to use for either.

Question: What is the benefit/advantage of the longer belt length of the 72".

Take a look at the Coote. It's basically the same two wheel set up but you have a choice of more contact wheels and other attachments that might interest you. You can also order it with a ceramic platten liner in place and the thing's built like a tank. I had also considered the Kalamazoo but found the the Coote was also cheaper. On both you have to buy the motor separately. I would recommend that you get a minimum of one horse power, 1 1/2 better, and 2hp more better still.

Doug Lester

I've got no personal experience but have it on good authority from someone who had a Kalamazoo in the past that it was a total PILE . That was also quite a few years ago so maybe they have improved the product.

Just thought I'd throw this up. Perhaps it would still be a step up from the old Delta.

Doug - I like the look of that Coote grinder. This looks like it might be just the ticket.

I can get a 1 1/2 hp motor for it as well as a speed controller.

I take it you've had no issues with this machine's functionality or maintenance?

Dacks
My buddy has a coote with an 8" wheel, I have used it quite a bit and it works great. He also has a KMG uses it for mostly grinding bevels and the coote for profiling. The only thing that may be an issue is you are grinding flat grinds and hollow grinds at two different heights. Ive not had an issue with it but some people claim it can throw you off. Overall though the Coote is alot of machine for the money.

Sean

I know a maker who has used the Coote for many , many years . He thinks it's a super grinder. His work sure is too. Frank

I have the coote grinder and am very happy with it. it is built very sturdy . I only flat grind so can't comment on the different height issue for hollow grind.for the money it cant be beat . All that being said I am fairly new at knife making .....steve

Well I think we have a consensus of opinion here.

Coote it shall be with a 1 1/2 or 2 hp motor.

Thanks guys!!

Back