Yet another grinder question...

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
So I’ve pretty much decided on the kmg with the 10 in wheel and 3HP variable speed motor. Here are a few questions I still have.

Is the variable speed controller that is sold with the kmg good? Would I be better off getting it from somewhere else?

Would y’all recommend the 6 inch drive wheel? The 6 vs the 4 inch is supposed to be for greater speed. Please advise.

I don’t see an option on the site for direct drive. Wouldn’t this be better??? How does one get this option on a kmg?

Every time I get close to buying one, I start thinking about the options and get confused again. Please help. Thanks as always folks for the help.

Is the variable speed controller that is sold with the kmg good? Would I be better off getting it from somewhere else?

Personally, I believe that the KBAC VFDs are the best currently available. Solid units with long term durability. I've spent far too much time trying to help folks who've had issues with the "cheaper" VFDs. Remember, any VFD that is "open" WILL either fail of give you problems in a grinder application.

Would y’all recommend the 6 inch drive wheel? The 6 vs the 4 inch is supposed to be for greater speed. Please advise.
My recommendation is the 4" drive wheel.

I don’t see an option on the site for direct drive. Wouldn’t this be better??? How does one get this option on a kmg?
There is no direct drive option available from Beaumount.....it would have to be a "do it yourself" modification.

Every time I get close to buying one, I start thinking about the options and get confused again. Please help.
The best advice I can offer when purchasing your first grinder is to purchase what you BELIEVE you will need, you will find that based on what you make, and how you make it, you MAY want to purchase other "options" such as different size contact wheels, attachments, etc. A grinder tends to be the most personalized piece of equipment in any knifemakers shop.

Personally, I believe that the KBAC VFDs are the best currently available. Solid units with long term durability. I've spent far too much time trying to help folks who've had issues with the "cheaper" VFDs. Remember, any VFD that is "open" WILL either fail of give you problems in a grinder application.

My recommendation is the 4" drive wheel.

There is no direct drive option available from Beaumount.....it would have to be a "do it yourself" modification.

The best advice I can offer when purchasing your first grinder is to purchase what you BELIEVE you will need, you will find that based on what you make, and how you make it, you MAY want to purchase other "options" such as different size contact wheels, attachments, etc. A grinder tends to be the most personalized piece of equipment in any knifemakers shop.
Thanks, Ed! Is the VFD that is sold with the KMG a KBAC? I’m also guessing that the direct drive is an important add on. Is it a major deal or can parts be bought and bolted on? I’m laughing now because I’d bet that this is not the case. Thanks again Ed!

As usual Ed has given good advice - I'm pretty sure that's the VFD sold by KMG since it seems to be the defacto standard for NEMA 4X drives. "IF" I was looking at a KMG, I'd be talking to them and see if they'd knock a bit off price by leaving all those pulleys and shaft off the frame. Then I'd mount the motor of my desire to the base for a direct drive. There is a direct drive adaption setup sold by somebody - I think Matthew can provide that info.

My first grinder was a KMG clone complete with pulleys and shaft. I felt it was all that was needed...... Until I built my next grinder - still pretty much a KMG clone, except I put a direct drive mounting plate... I had to eat crow on the benefits of direct drive and variable speed. Just no other way to go as far as I'm concerned. Don't even consider ANY grinder without direct drive and VFD.

As Ed has said before, there's almost NO grinder that is everything that's desired - seems everyone needs some type of mod to make it "right" for each person.

Good luck
Ken H>

Again I'm new so take it for what it's worth. I bought the Reeder machine bare bought my own wheels, motor and VFD. The machine is aluminium I know many don' like that. It is a direct drive setup and can go horizontal if needed. I have a 2HP, 3PH 1750RPM 220V motor on it with a 5" Drive wheel and a KBAC27 VFD. The one thing I would change on my setup are the wheels. I bought Resin Cast fiber wheels from Oragon Blade makers and I don' like them despite them telling me they were better than Aluminium wheels (and they sell both the AL being 2 times the price). The machine tool arms are setup like KMGs with a pivot shaft, this works great! Future plans include rewiring the KBAC with on/off switch and reverse switch so I can use grinder as a sharpener and over driving the motor for more RPM via the VFD. I also will eventually replace all of the wheels with Aluminum except the platen 1 of them will end up being rubber or I'm gonna stagger the platen wheels similer to Mr Cafferys design (just makes sense now). Buy what you think you need, and adapt as you need it!!

Last edited:
Look at the DVD available on the DVDs page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.
You can build your own from the plans and save a lot of money. Also if later on you decide you want to change something on it you don't mind changing it. If you spend the big bucks you are more reluctant to make any changes.
Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne is correct, it's pretty easy to build your own grinder. Any person who can build knives will have the skill to build a grinder just fine.

For a full time knifemaker where time is money, it might not be worthwhile to build own grinder, but for the hobby person (like myself) it's a no brainer. For $600 ($700? $800?) or so you can have a VERY nice VFD grinder that's the equal of anything you can buy. A lathe does have keep costs down.

buy an industrial grade VFD. TECO, Leeson, Siemens, Allen Bradley, Marathon all are good and are covered with at least a 2 year warranty. (http://dealerselectric.com/115Vinpu...23456802&pgID=1&SortBy=PriceAsc&GdPageSize=20). . a NEMA 4 enclosure is pretty to look at, but unless you are operating outdoors or mount the VFD directly under the grinder, not really needed.
I don't understand the need to have a 3 Hp motor. first it limits your choice of motors and VFD. Is your shop wired for 240 vac? You need 240 vac for a 3hp VFD. for a hobby person, a 1 or 1 1/2 hp should be more than adequate and you can find many 115v VFDs to drive them. look at the kits on the market and find the ones set up for direct drive. the cost of multi-stage pulleys and belts and the issues of getting every mounted correctly will offset any savings over a direct drive setup. I don't understand the need for speed either. yes, when using a 40 grit belts running full speed with a 3400 rpm motor eats lots steel quick. but any belt over 100 grit at that speed and belt life is measured in seconds. I would get a 3" and a 5 or 6" drive wheels.

Is the VFD that is sold with the KMG a KBAC?

Yes

I’m also guessing that the direct drive is an important add on
I ran my KMG for about 15 years before I converted it to direct drive.... it was well worth the effort for me. It's not too difficult to do....if you have the ability to fabricate the parts needed. In my case I used 2 pieces of 1/2" thick plate, and had a friend machine the motor face mount for me, then I did the rest

Thanks guys!!! As always, you all came through and gave me the help I needed. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I’m still kicking around a few ideas and will let you guys know if I have more questions... lol not if ... more like when. Thanks again knife brothers.

Back