YOUR Shop!

Greg Rice

I don't know about you guys but every time one of you sends a picture - after admiring your knife or whatever you are showing - I immediately start looking around in the pic at your shop. I love seeing your shops and seeing the equipment in them. I know that there are stories in those shops (and if you don't know - I collect stories...).

So - I looked a couple of pages in and didn't see any recent threads about shop pics - and if there are please move this there as a bump - but LETS SEE YOUR SHOP!! PANO pics are great and easy if you have an iPhone (just select PANO from camera and follow directions - can't help ya otherwise)

Here is a PANO of my 2/3's of the 1 car end of my garage-workshop - the other 1/3' is my office since 6:30AM March 16th, 2020 (whose keeping track?) I didn't clean or stage - just took a pic just now..

So Come on in - take a look around - pull up a stool and we'll pop a cold one!

Greg Shop.jpg

Here is my little shop. It's a single stall in a former horse barn of a family friend. They haven't had horses in a while so it was sitting un-used when they offered it to me after I mentioned wanting to start making knives. I still need to add some shelved below the benches for storage to get stuff off the floor, figure out my dust collection below my grinder and clean up after building everything out. shop2.jpg

If shop tours are your thing, I'll put a plug in to check out the NWBA (Northwest Blacksmith Assn) digital demonstrations. Each demonstrator has done a shop tour at the end of their demo, and we've had demonstrators from all over the world. Our latest one was from Spain where the shop was using a water powered trip hammer. We have 7 out of the 22 already uploaded to the NWBA Youtube channel and I hope to have caught up in the next week or so.

Here is my little shop. It's a single stall in a former horse barn of a family friend. They haven't had horses in a while so it was sitting un-used when they offered it to me after I mentioned wanting to start making knives. I still need to add some shelved below the benches for storage to get stuff off the floor, figure out my dust collection below my grinder and clean up after building everything out. View attachment 75607
Great start there! A lot of fun putting it together! I am jealous of that grinder too...

Here's my front 1/2 of the garage in usable shop configuration... But now that winter is on the door step, everything is pushed forward so we can get the cars in and the drill press and bandsaw are the only two accessible tools and are pushed up to about the right edge of the black floor mat. No heat.
shop.JPG

Here's the shop I work out of today....

1AET7PA.jpg

And here's the shop I'll be working out of next June ! :D

TCJOEZS.jpg

eOpsXsN.jpg

xqUwMlk.jpg

some of the trees in pic two are leaners from hurricane Michael, those are mostly gone, I'm still working with the forestry dept. to get the property cleaned up and replanted.
I'm wiring and building benches in there now.

I promised Shop shots over a week ago. Finally got them. My wife has had some difficulties from her surgery that has kept me very busy. But she's doing OK.

The shops pretty messy right now. I move the bike when I work out in the shop. This shows most of the tool wall and the main bench where I do assembly.

Looking east. Welder on the left. Grinder bench on the right. Main bench in the back. I usually move the car out when I'm working in the shop as well.
That's all I will inflict on you guys for now. Sorry about being absent, but it's been a minor hurricane around here. Getting more nursing care this coming week which should take some of the load off of me.

Here's the shop I work out of today....

1AET7PA.jpg

And here's the shop I'll be working out of next June ! :D

TCJOEZS.jpg

eOpsXsN.jpg

xqUwMlk.jpg

some of the trees in pic two are leaners from hurricane Michael, those are mostly gone, I'm still working with the forestry dept. to get the property cleaned up and replanted.
I'm wiring and building benches in there now.
Dood - that is gonna be epic

Back