Z-Tuff Chopper

A while back Chuck Bybee sent me a piece of Z-Tuff which is a new experimental steel from Zapp. It is supposed to be as tough as S7 with the edge holding of A2. We shall see because I'm gonna do a pass-around with it and let people beat it like a rented mule.
I hardened it to ~62 HRC and gave it a full flat grind with a satin belt finish. The handles are Natural Canvas Micarta bolted up with SS Corbys & sealed with Acraglass. It has a ~8.5" cutting edge, 1 & 7/8" wide, & .283" thick at the Ricasso. Overall length is ~13.75".
I still gotta make a sheath for it and may have it Ceracoated. If anybody wants to get on the tester list give me a call and I'll go over the requirements.

Attachments

• Z-Tuff Chopper #1 .jpg
    Z-Tuff Chopper #1 .jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Z-Tuff Chopper#2 .jpg
    Z-Tuff Chopper#2 .jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 35
Nice! I have a piece I bought from Zapp sitting here but I haven't tested this steel yet. Love A2 and I use a fair amount of s7 for hawks so I'm really looking forward to this steel.

That looks sweet Darrin! You bet I want to get on the list for the pass around!! I will give ya a call. The new house we bought has some saplings and brush in the back yard that will need to go.

A while back Chuck Bybee sent me a piece of Z-Tuff which is a new experimental steel from Zapp. It is supposed to be as tough as S7 with the edge holding of A2. We shall see because I'm gonna do a pass-around with it and let people beat it like a rented mule.
I hardened it to ~62 HRC and gave it a full flat grind with a satin belt finish. The handles are Natural Canvas Micarta bolted up with SS Corbys & sealed with Acraglass. It has a ~8.5" cutting edge, 1 & 7/8" wide, & .283" thick at the Ricasso. Overall length is ~13.75".
I still gotta make a sheath for it and may have it Ceracoated. If anybody wants to get on the tester list give me a call and I'll go over the requirements.
How did the tests turn out? I’ve made a couple blades in this steel, but haven’t tested thoroughly yet.

Back