Hello everyone!

edbriver

KNIFE MAKER
Just joined up to check out what's going on over here. I've lurked around for a while, but I just bought a kiln and figured it may be a good idea to join the forum as well, for the community and maybe get help if I need it.

I've been on BCUSA and BladeForums for a bit, for knives and info, but it's always good to have even more sources of knowledge.

So, I'm just getting started on my knife-making journey, and I'm looking forward to my future as a maker, and I'm looking forward to the many discussions that I'm sure will follow.

Welcome. I haven't been in this forum for long and don't forge myself (too old can't handle the heat/hard work any more) and have been customizing handles on others blades for awhile now to get just what I want in a knife.
By the looks of your pics. you have the handle part pretty much in hand (pardon the pun). I especially like the 1st and 3rd handles because they would probably feel really good in my hand.
The people here are kind spirited and will help you to become a better knife maker in my opinion. I've learned quite a bit just by looking at the posted pictures of their knives and reading..... A good lot to be associated with (my opinion again).
Luck to you with your new forge..................................

Last edited:
Heat treat oven, steel, and oil arrived today. Should have everything else I need. Let's see if I can get some work done this weekend. Might be hard with Mother's Day stuff going on.

No blades this weekend, the company forgot to ship a blade fixture with the oven and then as I was setting things up I realized I forgot to order the extension cord that was in my cart… both should take a few days. Guess I’ll just do some more handles for now.

Welcome, @edbriver
Nice handle work!
Thank you!
Patience! Looking forward to seeing your work.
Thanks! It's hard to be patient. I'm normally a very laid-back person, but i've never been so excited to get into something. Everybody has there "thing" and I may have just found mine!

Edit: forgot too add, I've got a bunch of rough blanks cut out and I've started grinding. Probably be firing up the oven in the next couple days.

Thanks! I'm a stacked birch/leather person myself. That's probably what I'll do most of my stick tang knives in. Birch bark is not that easy to come by, I still need to find a reliable source, but I dabble in leatherwork so leather is easy.
yeah I’m working on a stacked birch handle right now, I ended up buying a couple hundred dollars worth of bark, just to get enough decent material. It’s awesome to work with, and might be the prettiest handle, IMO

Got em ground, started the handle on one tonight. I’ll need to tweak my process for the next round. I’ll probably just do one blade next time until I get the hang of it.

Attachments

• IMG_7647.jpeg
    IMG_7647.jpeg
    723.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back