"Iron Lucky"

wmhammond

I just purchased two billets from "Iron Lucky" in France. One is Damascus San Mai of 1066/Nickel/K980 Center for about $150. The other is San Mai of AISI 420/Nickel/Bohlers S200 Center for about $160. Anybody out there familiar with these steels or this maker. Would love to hear about that but what I'm really after is the heat treaf formulas for these teo center steels. I'm assuming K980 is an oil quench in Parks 50 but I don't know at what temp. On the Bohler S200 I am assuming ari quench but at what temp I dont know and I also dont know about Cyro. I sincerely appreciate any assistance provided, Wallace

The K980 looks pretty close to 80CRV2. I think you could expect similar results with similar HT. Bohler says on their website to use an austenizing temp of 800c/1472f and oil quench. That all checks out. The S200, they have that info on their site as well, and the recommend about 2250f and oil/air, with a 1000f temper. I’ve never used either steel, but that info was pulled from Bohlers site. They had cooling diagrams and all sorts of stuff on there that could help you out. I’m not really technologically advanced enough to know how to put the links on here, but I’d recommend visiting their site.

I just purchased two billets from "Iron Lucky" in France. One is Damascus San Mai of 1066/Nickel/K980 Center for about $150. The other is San Mai of AISI 420/Nickel/Bohlers S200 Center for about $160. Anybody out there familiar with these steels or this maker. Would love to hear about that but what I'm really after is the heat treaf formulas for these teo center steels. I'm assuming K980 is an oil quench in Parks 50 but I don't know at what temp. On the Bohler S200 I am assuming ari quench but at what temp I dont know and I also dont know about Cyro. I sincerely appreciate any assistance provided, Wallace

When I buy Damascus or San Mai from a maker, I always ask that they provide heat treat instructions. The maker should know better than anyone what steels he used and how to heat treat them.

Back