Gorilla Glue

M

Mook

I'd like some input on using GG to affix handles. Anyone used it with hidden tang knives? Full tang? Any special surface prep one should do to metal prior to using GG?

In advance, thank you!

I have and didnt like it ! let me tell you why . If you put a little too much it swells up and turns white . I would stick with clear epoxy . although some may like it , didnt think it was a good glue for knife handles .

It's not easy to work with but it's some of the strongest stuff out there. It stains and oozes out all over the place. It will stain your skin deeply for days...and the stain doesn't wash off. keep in mind the foam part of has zero structural strength. It has to cure under some kind of compression.

Bossdog knows a little about glues.
Google glue wars for some good reading and test results of some testing.

DO NOT GET GORILLA GLUE ON YOUR HANDS!
There is absolutely nothing that will get it off.....except time.

I use it precisely because of the aformentioned glue wars and have so far had fair results. I always use it to glue my liner material to my scales, and it's been great for that. I can only repeat what was said about not touching it. I use latex gloves whenever I use it, and a pumice stone to rub off what dries on my skin. That only works because it takes the skin off too!

Loctite 330 is my personal favorite right now. No mixing. Put the adhesive on one side and the activator on the other. The adhesive is thick enough to avoid over clamping and having a glue starved joint and the results are consistent. Plus there is plenty of time to get everything in place. It doesn't even start to harden until it meets the activator so you have time to get alignment and pins set up correctly.

Everyone has their opinion - this one is mine.

Gorilla Glue is not only the name of the product it is also what it should be used for. The next time I glue 2 gorillas together will be the next and last time I use it. I Use 2 ton epoxy (Devcon 30 minute) or Acraglass. Don't over clamp and you'll never have a problem.

Steve

Holy Schnikeys! Those guys put a crapload of work into their testing, and boy, it shows.

Since I make mostly full (exposed) tang knives, I'm convinced now to try Gorilla Glue.

Thanks for the tip/link!

Good stuff

I have been using Gorilla Glue exclusively with fine results. One must wear rubber gloves. Be sure you wet one surface. Don't over clamp. Don't use excessive amount of glue. Plan on about 20-30 minutes of constant attention- to wipe the glue away around the ricasso area. I like it because you can begin working the handle in 2-3 hours. I usually give it 3 hours. And, I use the Foredom grinder to rough up the surface of the blade handle area.

Milt

I have had bad times with gorilla glue. Not for being weak by any means, but that it hardens inside the bottle too quickly after opening. My dad showed me an elmers ultimate glue, which I believe has been renamed to Elmer's Nano Glue. It's a lighter color than gorilla glue, but they have the exact same instructions. I have not compared them side by side, just because there is no more gorilla glue left in my house. If you guys want, I could pick up a bottle of it and show tests between the two.

To explain a little about the after opening life, I've opened a bottle of gorilla glue. Used it once. Closed it tightly, put it away for a couple months, came back, hard as a rock all the way through. Nano glue, left it OPEN on the bench 3 or 4 times overnight, and after a couple months, it was still not hardened.

Elmers also claims their ultimate glue is 100% waterproof and 40% stronger than the competition (which would be gorilla glue)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-P9415-Ultimate-Performance-4-Ounce/dp/B000MVOXLE/ref=pd_cp_hi_2"]Amazon.com: Elmer's P9415 Ultimate High Performance Glue 4-Ounce: Home Improvement[/ame]

It will "go off" sitting on the shelf if it is 1/3 or more empty. You can get a little more shelf life by squeezing as much air out of the bottle and then capping it. The bottle will be all scrunched up but it does last longer.

It will "go off" sitting on the shelf if it is 1/3 or more empty. You can get a little more shelf life by squeezing as much air out of the bottle and then capping it. The bottle will be all scrunched up but it does last longer.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I was running out of time getting through that thread so I skipped to the conclusions.

It looks like a lot of time and effort was put into in but I'm a bit peed off about the results! :D

I've just bought a second lot of Devcon (the bottles) as I've had no problems before. I'm going to have to try a brief test of my own now!!

I'm really surprised that Gorilla Glue would have actually been really good on hidden tang knives. A shop near me supplies it though so I may have to get some to try for scales.

i dont know if anyone has mentiones gorilla epoxy works very well- withouy the buildup--marekz

Anybody tried this??:D:D

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sticky-Ass-Glue-SAG4OZ-Waterproof/dp/B0018N8G1S/ref=pd_cp_hi_2"]Amazon.com: Sticky Ass Glue SAG4OZ Waterproof Stubbornly Strong Glue, 4-Ounce: Home Improvement[/ame]

Last edited:
I use GG exclusively for full tang knives. It is strong as hell and can take a beating. I don't do hidden tang anymore but when I did I used JB Weld.
Scott

I am working on getting set up as a dealer for the entire gorilla glue line. it is going very s...l....o....w....
but I'm tenacious...

Back