Ways to get a good sharp edge

What purpose does using a leather strop serve at the end of Sharpening?

It's essentially a finer abrasive, used to remove the thin wire edge by folding it back an forth so it comes off in a controlled manner rather than tearing off, leaving a rough edge.

Can I use any leather belt or should I purchase one specifically made as a strop?

Thanks, Stew.

A leather belt is fine - it's what I do!

I have removed the stitching donw the edge, chopped off the buckle end then nailled it upside down to a piece of baton.

I found some pics:

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

Nice and long so you get a good stroke and you can jam the end against the wall for support.

I use the lansky system. The steel I use is 3/16 so I had to modify the jig to to accuratly hold the thicker steel.

A simple method to use if you don't have a lot of tools is to put a piece of 1000 grit to 2000 grit sandpaper on a mouse pad. My bug out bag has an old mouse pad and some sandpaper in it. I also have a 8-9 oz. piece of leather loaded with buffing compound in my bag. In a pinch you can always strop on the back of a leather sheath.

I just got Norton medium and fine india stones, Also a 2x42 grinder!!

Can I use just these to get a good sharp edge?

Can I start my edge with the medium stone or should I get something a bit more course?

Also, Can anyone explain to me the whole thing about the bur and stropping?

What way do you strop, do you pull with the edge trailing or push with the edge leading?

Sorry for all the questions but being new to knifemaking I am also new to getting a edge started, and I have never shaved with a knife!!

Thanks,for posting this question Ernie,it has been as much help to me as it was to you.
Never worry about asking a question,as long as you learn from the answers.I was told the only dumb question,is the one never asked.You have been on here long enough to know that these guys will do their best to answer any question,and never talk to you like your crazy.

God bless,Keith

So with out a grinder what is the best/easiest way to get an edge started?

I tried putting 400 grit on a mouse pad to try and get the .20 that I have down I think I have it to around .05 now!!!

does anyone know of any good videos for going from a new knife with no edge to a sharp edge?

Thanks for the help so far!!

OK I am going to throw my 2cents in here. I have tried the Lansky sharpening system and even though I have always been able to sharpen most any knife by hand, except for a few cheapo pocket knives that folks have brought to me over the years. I have to say I love the Lansky system.
Now don't get me wrong all of the systems that have been mentioned have some place in knife sharpening in my opinion and I still say whatever works for you is the best of systems. I love a water stone for a quick edge and a diamond stone gives a quick but more refined edge. A few licks on sandpaper can help to pull the edge down to a more final edge. Usually for more of a final edge I still like to go to an oil stone.
Back to the Lansky system though and I am not a rep or any such a thing. However when I stopped and thought about it, it is kind of a no brainier. The problem most people have sharpening is there strokes on a stone or what ever they are using as a sharpening medium are inconsistent. Let’s say you make ten strokes per side on a knife, if only three – five of those were at the correct angle that means anywhere from five – seven were at a different angle. That probably means you did not get a sharp edge or at least not as sharp as it cold have been. This is the main reason most people have a problem sharpening in the first place incorrect or inconsistent angle on the blade to the stone.With the Lansky system take those same 10 strokes at the same angle and ten on the other side at the same angle; you are well on your way to having a sharp knife. With the Lansky system the angle is built in. The problem I had when I used it the first time was that when I had run through the entire range of the stones from coarsest to finest I didn't like the edge. I felt like it could have been sharper. I start now doing ten strokes per side with each grit and the progessively count down on the number of strokes per side with each grit until I get it down to where I only do one stroke per side, per grit.
Well I went back and started with the coarsest to the finest stones again and then went to the family’s old razor strap or strop as some call it well I was shocked at how sharp the knife was. The knife was sent out with a warning that it was extremely sharp and that I was not responsible for anyone getting cut by it. The customer emailed me back and wanted to know how I sharpened it because he felt it was quite possibly the sharpest knife he had ever seen! To me that speaks for itself. I have been hooked on the system every since and use it on most all of my knvives to place a final edge to the blade. However the final, final edge goes on from the old family razor strap!

Last edited:
rock thanks that video was help ful for me id like to know if anyone know a way to sharpen from no edge to sharp if its not a convex can you sharpen it like a convex huh1

I used to sharpen with a slack belt, but was having problems with the belt running over the tip of the blade, and ruining it. I then switched over to using the flat platen, but, I wasn't getting a smooth feel to it....it was too bumpy a ride.
Then the idea came to me to glue a piece of leather onto a flat platen using Gorilla glue. It's taking a little while to get used to the different feel of using it, but now, I'm not ruining tips, and I'm still getting the edge to pop hairs.2thumbs

Versatile, fool proof, surprisingly user-friendly, and extremely good at sharpening and honing any blade out there. I've had one for a couple of years and just love it.

Ohh, its also expensive as all get out.

tormekt7system370.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like they start around six hundred bucks. http://www.tormek.com. I've probably spent close to that on sharpeners. I think the other drawback is portability.

Last edited:
Back