1080, hamon, Ram horn

jkf96a

This knife is my Llano Legend model, 1080 carbon steel, clay quenched with a hamon. The bolsters are 416 stainless, dovetailed. The handle is ram horn, with stainless pins and a tapered tang. The sheath is my work as well. This one's not for sale just yet, but will be sent out to my mailing list shortly.

I liked this knife so much, I sent it out for professional photos to Kayla at www.knifephotosbykayla.com. She's shot knife pictures for me before and was responsible for getting one of my knives published in Blade Magazine's Knives 2013. Only have the one pic so far, but Kayla did a great job!
Ram-Horn-KM-Horiz.jpg

Being your brother and all, I'm pretty familiar with your work. I think the blade shape (with a little less belly) on this one is quite a bit better than the norm for this pattern. I also think the less round-fronted kick thingy is good, but you already knew that. Overall, I think this might be your best ever, design wise. The etched blade and the sheep horn really work well too. Whether it's your best fit-and-finish wise, you'll have to tell me, since you'll probably sell it before I get to see it in person, but it seems like you've upped your game some recently.

Honestly, Trav, it's the grinder. F/F on this one is pretty good. a little rough on the pins, but they're contoured into the ram horn. didn't want them too shiny and smooth. There is a tiny pin ring on one side of the bolster. Three out of four are invisible.

Back