1084 performance as a skinning/ hunting knife?

Hey everyone, I've never really used 1084. I make hunting knives primarily and usually use CPM D-2. Now I know I am not to expect the same performance, but wondering what I could expect for that particular use. Given that its heat treated correctly. Can I expect the edge to last through a white tail or two. Here is the deal, I'm not entirely new to knife making though I know I still have a ton to learn. I'm fairly well equipped. Just never used this steel before. Looking for some feed back from those that have. Thanks Sunny

I can certainly tell you that a 1084 blade (with a good heat treat) will go through a couple of whitetails easily....no problem. Disclaimer......as long as the edge isn't hammered through the pelvic bone, or the sternum for that matter. I use something else....either a saw or hatchet. When I was young, I used to use my pocket knives to gut deer. Pelvic bone and all. I've since "wised" up! Your CPMD2 is going to be much more stain resistant than the 1084, as you know! I love 1084. Great steel. If you're looking at 1084, take a look at 1080+ offered at Alpha Knife Supply. It has a touch of chromium and vanadium in addition!!!! Heat treat is the same, more or less.

Bump!

We sell a lot of 1084 and I'd be interested in some performance experience in the real world too.

Oops - crossover post with samuraisaint. Thanks!

Last edited:
It will stain, and dull a bit faster, but it is also so much easier to re-sharpen than the higher alloy steels, especially in the field.

Thanks for the replies...I had almost given up on a response. I've recently started playing with the carbon steel as the stainless can be very expensive and as of right now I do not have a cryo tank to sub quench. Cpm D-2 only requires a - 100 follow up. I have worked with O-1 a little.I would like to pick just a couple carbon steels and get to know them pretty well. I appreciate the replies. Thanks Sunny

01, with an ideal HT, will beat 1084, but as a good all around using blade, 1084 can be a very excellent choice of steel. Especially if you use the type with a little vanadium in it.

The stock I have came from Also's, I just finished an upsweep Skinner. Its 3/16ths thick.It has a full flat grind with a final edge thickness of 10 thousands. I normally dont go that thick for a Skinner but that's the thickness I had. It was normalized 3 times starting with 1600 then down to 1475. Autinized st 1500 for 15 min. Quenched in Parks 50 and tempered at 400 2 times for an hour each. I don't have a Rockwell tester but it skated a file after the blade had Been cleaned up. Feel pretty good about how it turned out. Thanks again for the replies.

There are plenty of great preforming stainless steel hunters that aren't cryo treated. I do have all of my stainless blades Cryo treated like 440C, CPM-154, CPM-S30V and Cryo does help refine that grain structure but it isn't nessasary.

That CPM-D2 is a excellent steel.

I agree...CPM D-2 is my personal favorite! But I'm also enjoying the carbon steels. My understanding of cryo is that it completes the martinsite transformation. These steels are expensive in comparison. My thought on that is if you don't do a sub quench then your not getting your money's worth as it relates to the steels true capabilities.

I would get a couple of practice blades made in 1084, HT them then test them hard. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at just how tough this steel can be!

God Bless
Mike

Back