1095 Annealed?

The short answer is yes. A little terminology clarification, however. Annealing brings the steel back to full-dead-soft and won't have any appreciable spring characteristics. Tempering back sufficiently from full hard, however, will produce a fine spring. Having never intentionally made a spring, I'm not in a position to recommend a specific temper. Maybe those more experienced can chime in.

By the way, you're a resident of the dog kennel. Maybe you could stop by our fine hosts of this forum and pick their brains. They're basically on the SW corner of 169 and 14.

-Kurt

Thanks for the clarification. I forgot to include the fact that I wanted to temper them back for slip joint springs. Good to know that 1095 will work for this. Much easier to cut the blades and springs from the same piece.

I've been to our forum host's shop and seen the many racks and racks of fine knife making components. Sadly I may have drooled a bit too much while I was there though. Very nice people working there also.

Assuming you "fully" harden the 1095, a temper range of 725° to 750° will give you a very good spring.

Back