1095 for parang?

csalt09

I can't find any 1084 or 1075 in the size I need and was wondering how 1095 would do for a 11" blade parang. I'm confident in the heat treat I'm just worried about it being able to take heavy chopping. I haven't done much with 1095 mostly 1085 and w2.

Have you considered 5160? It may not have quite the edge holding ability of the above steels but it is tougher especially if you edge or clay quench the blade. You also don't run the risk of much retained austenite.

Doug

I love 5160 but I have some customers who want a parang with a hamon. I did one in 1084 and It got a lot of attention. I'm afraid they will lose interest if I wait to long but maybe I should make a couple with 5160 in the meantime.

I think 80Crv2 would be an excellent choice for a parang, even above 5160 (which would also work quite well) but if hamon potential is a consideration, it's not the best choice.

1075 would be ideal for all the things you mention but if you can't find it, that's out too. It can be done with 1095 for sure. Keep the task in mind and tailor your heat treat and edge geometry accordingly.

I lucked out. The steel baron just received a truck full of 1075/1084 and it will be available by Monday. Thanks for the comments guys.

Back