one nice thing about using canola oil to quench, any odors it makes blend in with the rest of the kitchen odors as we use canola to fry and saute.

I have put my foot down with my left hannd, very quietly I may add and used the kitchen convector oven which is a,most finished 2 x hour recycles, it is light straw in my estimation..
Checked her oven and it is 10 degrees higher, not bad compared to toaster oven which is now redundant.
Hope this sorts it, fed up now.

Started on my 1080 this afternoon.

I have some 1095 and 15n20 Damascus. I see its important to have good control over temps when heat treating 1095. Would I need to be as careful if I just wanted to anneal it... or heat to non-magnetic and super slow cool is good enough for workability?

I have some 1095 and 15n20 Damascus. I see its important to have good control over temps when heat treating 1095. Would I need to be as careful if I just wanted to anneal it... or heat to non-magnetic and super slow cool is good enough for workability?

I wouldn't do any slow cool slower than just air cooling with 1095 stuff. Annealing would be right out.

Her oven is her oven. Just imagine how it would go if she had to wait on making dinner just because you had some blades in the oven. You could also put some sand in the toaster oven tray that you temper your blades in to serve as a heat sink to keep the temperature from swinging as much.

Doug

Critical annealing is loosing favor. It creates large plates of carbides that can cause problems with drilling the steel and getting a good edge on the blade.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I searched "critical anneal 1095" in my search engine and it brought me back to this thread on knifedogs that I didn't see earlier.

https://knifedogs.com/threads/what-did-i-do-normalize-1095.44182/

Thanks for the vocabulary it gave me a direct hit. I'll follow the advice in this thread, it was spot on. I'll wait until I can control and measure temps before I play with it again.

edit: found this too: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-do-i-anneal-1095-hr.601745/

edit2: I'm having good results with this anneal (couldn't wait...). Profiled a few blades using a hacksaw and files. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Back