115W8 spear point bushie

jmforge

115W8 spear point bushy Price Drop

This little guy is made from 115W8 tool steel. It is an old school German metal cutting saw blade steel. I sometimes refer to it as Hitachi Blue # 1.5 because it has a very similar chemical composition to Blue #2, but with a higher tungsten content, around 2 %. I may not be as clean in absolute term as the Hitachi stuff, but it is probably pretty close because this batch of steel was a1-2 ton custom smelt done specifically for knife purposes at the Lohmann mill in Germany. The blade is around 3.75 inches long by a healthy 1/8 at the ricasso. It has a full flat grind with a belt finish and it hardened to 62Rc. That is actually what was recommended for hardness if I wanted to "chop nails" :biggrin: Supposedly this steel can be left at like 64 Rc for kitchen knives and such!!! This is some tough steel that takes a nasty edge. The handle is polish green canvas Micarta with stainless Corby bolts. It comes with the Treestump pouch sheath shown and a fuzzy zipper case. Apologizes for the less than pro grade pictures. Asking $145 for the whole enchilada including PayPal fee and USPS Priority mail to the CONUS. IMG_0348.jpgIMG_0350.jpgIMG_0355.jpgIMG_0352.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats for chosing this steel!.... combined with this stout fellow it makes serious tool....besides O7 I use 115W8 for many years and it is hard to get a tougher material.
O7 holds an edge quite longer, but 115W8 sharpens a bit easier and it tougher, means You can grind hunters much thinner at the edge .....hang on to this stuff and Your knives will always make a difference.

Congrats for chosing this steel!.... combined with this stout fellow it makes serious tool....besides O7 I use 115W8 for many years and it is hard to get a tougher material.
O7 holds an edge quite longer, but 115W8 sharpens a bit easier and it tougher, means You can grind hunters much thinner at the edge .....hang on to this stuff and Your knives will always make a difference.
Jeremiah, are you one of the guys who discovered that stash of 115W8 there in Thailand and told Achim and the other guys in Germany about it? From what I have seen, 115W8/1.2442 is probably not as abrasion resistant as say CruForgeV because it is easier to hand finish, but it is certainly very tough and takes a scary fine edge, probably as good as W2 and maybe even 52100. I made a sujihiki out of it a while back and to took an edge without having to get into crazy expensive water stones or diamond pastes, etc and it would make you bleed if you thought about it for too long. :lol:

Last edited:
Jeremiah, are you one of the guys who discovered that stash of 115W8 there in Thailand and told Achim and the other guys in Germany about it?
Yeah, something like that:lol:......about 8-9 years ago, I got a few 2 mm thin steel stripes from a good knife making friend of mine who had a job in a big steel company in south Germany.He likes to use it as a component in his Damascus steel.It was a left over from a big industrial special order. It came from a huge coil and the pieces were pretty deformed.I used this steel over the years and word spread around.One day Achim mailed me and said , he wants to give some steel in order and he wanted to know what quality I would prefer and favour.115W8 is since decades and the developing of HSS out of production so I would strongly vote for 115W8.He shared my opinion about the steel and ordered 3tons of it, because that was the minimum to order.
I always was concerned if the steel would sell well because I felt strong responsibility depending on my vote and "advice". But it is a steel, when You work and after finished cut with it, You will feel that something different happens. ...and Thank God, it sold very well.

Achim played with the basic alloy of 115W8 and created the TNT 06, it has instead of 2% Tungsteen, 0,6% Titanium, 0,6%Niob and 0,6% Tungsteen.
He created an very high abrassive resistant cutting steel that keeps remarkable long a keen edge, but it is really hard to grind.3M cubitron belts are necessary.
Achim offers also has a Damascus that contains O1, 75Ni8 and 115W8...that is an awesome steel to work with!...
...and I bet You would love 80WCrV8(2552) and 60WCrV8(2550).
Cheers Jeremiah

I saw some of the early TNT 06 stuff he had, he was calling it "666" steel because of the alloy percentages. plus it was a "
devil" to grind like you said. :biggrin: I made one billet of damascus from 115W8 and Uddeholm 15N20. It was not easy to weld and forge with my small 15 ton hydraulic press.
Yeah, something like that:lol:......about 8-9 years ago, I got a few 2 mm thin steel stripes from a good knife making friend of mine who had a job in a big steel company in south Germany.He likes to use it as a component in his Damascus steel.It was a left over from a big industrial special order. It came from a huge coil and the pieces were pretty deformed.I used this steel over the years and word spread around.One day Achim mailed me and said , he wants to give some steel in order and he wanted to know what quality I would prefer and favour.115W8 is since decades and the developing of HSS out of production so I would strongly vote for 115W8.He shared my opinion about the steel and ordered 3tons of it, because that was the minimum to order.
I always was concerned if the steel would sell well because I felt strong responsibility depending on my vote and "advice". But it is a steel, when You work and after finished cut with it, You will feel that something different happens. ...and Thank God, it sold very well.

Achim played with the basic alloy of 115W8 and created the TNT 06, it has instead of 2% Tungsteen, 0,6% Titanium, 0,6%Niob and 0,6% Tungsteen.
He created an very high abrassive resistant cutting steel that keeps remarkable long a keen edge, but it is really hard to grind.3M cubitron belts are necessary.
Achim offers also has a Damascus that contains O1, 75Ni8 and 115W8...that is an awesome steel to work with!...
...and I bet You would love 80WCrV8(2552) and 60WCrV8(2550).
Cheers Jeremiah

Back