1939 Studebaker Leaf Spring Interest???

seagiant

Hi,

I have some nice 1939 Studebaker Leaf Spring, I'm looking to sale.

I do not have a Power Hammer or Press so a little hard for me at my age...

To draw it out on an Anvil.

I can plasma cut in 12" peices and ship Medium Priority rate for $17 USPS.

Just checking if anyone wants to try Rudy Ruana's favorite knife steel???steel.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Hmmm...Never thought of it that way, but you have a point.

Didn't see myself as a "New Guy", but even that would deserve at least a hello?

I've been making knives from this steel for a long time and do not have the energy anymore to draw it out by hand.

Thought to sell a little and have on other Forums to give folks a chance to try some of Rudy Ruana's favorite steel and buy myself...

Steel that is a better size to hand forge on the Anvil.

That's about it in a Nutshell, thanks!

It also looks heavily pitted & corroded, which increases the probability of stress corrosion cracking, especially on stock as thin as that. Most serious makers use steels of known origin and provenance. Not saying you shouldn't try to offer it, just suggesting reasons you may get limited interest.

Geez, really???

I've been making knives from this stuff for 25 years and never had a problem.

It is beautiful steel and is good for anything from Fighters to Kitchen Knives!

I would not sell anything I thought people would have a problem with if worked correctly!

Thanks!

Lack of interest might be attributed to a generational gap and as mentioned today's craftsman have had it pounded into their heads to avoid mystery steel or used springs. Name familiarity is also a problem. Some of the older makers might remember Rudy's name but to the younger makers he's either an unknown or ancient history.

I had made a couple knives out of a piece of Studebaker leaf spring that Wayne Goddard had given me years ago. Believe it is 9260 and it hand forges fairly easy and does make a good blade. Also I had found a fellow that had rebuilt a 1923 Studebaker and I traded for his old springs. I should have known better when I saw that some of the springs had snapped in half. Worst steel I ever tried to use. It would not harden in any type of medium. Makes good paper weights.

Back