1st Done WIP

Rob Nelson

Aloha,

Finished my first one (well 99%, still have some epoxy to clean up that WD40 isn't cutting). Many many many thanks to Cal Harkins who made this all possible!

Details:
Cal Harkins finished the blade, I etched (twice!)
O-1, Differentially Heat Treated
9.25" OAL
5" (just shy of) blade length
1/4" thick, tapers to 3/16" at the swedge, but still tip heavy.
Convex grind
G10 Multi-Cam Scales
Stainless Corbys and Tube

And here's the WIP:

img2766.jpg

Beautiful blade, mirror finish. Cal and I decided it needed subduing.

img2768.jpg

Starting the scales

img2774.jpg

After the 2nd etch. Learning process, I etched BEFORE I finished profiling the scales ... so ... I finished profiling, but was freaking out so this is where I made my mistakes on the scale profile. Then I hand rubbed the whole blade with a worn out piece of 400 grit, and re-etched.

img2776.jpg

Shaped and curing.

img2779.jpg

Finishing the scales.

img2781.jpg

Done!

img2786.jpg

Tactical shot - way cool!

Last edited:
Looks great!!!
Cleaning that epoxy off with a little acetone on a q-tip will save you a lot of frustration later.

Steve

I like it. Nice job. Really like the scales.

Thanks, I was nervous to do anything more than just a slabside, but I've read it several times here where folks encourage newbies to get creative. I actually practiced using round files on a scrap kitchen knife first so I could get over the intimidation. I'll say the first pass with the round file was scary, and then it got fun really quick!

Thanks, I was nervous to do anything more than just a slabside, but I've read it several times here where folks encourage newbies to get creative. I actually practiced using round files on a scrap kitchen knife first so I could get over the intimidation. I'll say the first pass with the round file was scary, and then it got fun really quick!

I can understand that feeling completely. Being a newbie myself I have definitely had the thought "ok, do I have everything right? check it over again, is this what you should be doing and the right way to do it? You've got a lot of time wrapped up in this and you don't want to screw it up now."......

yep, been there....and really enjoyed the fact that it came out like it was supposed to...GREAT sense of accomplishment!!

Just curious, did you count the number of forward passes with the file to keep a consistent depth for each groove, or just eyeball it?
I'm assuming you measured and laid out where each groove should be.

Umm ... no :biggrin: I just went at it. I started down one side, I wanted the butt and "bolster" area solid, so I eyeballed space off the top and made the first furrow, then left a space for the alternate furrow, and made the second ... on down the line. Then came back on the other edge, and plowed the gaps. Coarse, then fine, then 220. Rubbed it with WD40, flipped. Laid the file across the tang to line up on the finished side, and did the same on the other side. It's not precise, which I kinda like. Then used a half round to give a finger notch on each side for comfort, sanded it all 220.

What is the purpose of the WD40? To bring out the contrast in the layers of the micarta?

Yeah, its like G10/Micarta polish, but it doesn't feel slippery to me which was my concern. The conditions in which this knife will be used will be harsh, and often with contact gloves, so it needs to have good grip. WD40 also cleans off epoxy before it sets, although more seeps out while its curing.

And you're right, the satisfaction of holding a knife in your hand that you made is an awesome feeling!

Great job Padre!

The acetone trick should be fine with the etch. acetone is a solvent and shouldn't mess with the acidic etch.

So, what's the next project? I know you have one in mind! Looking forward to it as well!

Charlie

Thanks guys! The next project is officially cured on the bench right now, just waiting for me to finish the scales, and get some belts from TruGrit in to do the final grind. Its a D2 profiled blade that RodneyJ sent me, with a pretty soft green corian and brass pins and tube. I did the pre-HT grind with files and paper, Pete's did the HT (Cryo, 58-60 RC). Mrs. Nelson will be the recipient of this one ... after all, she did suggest I needed a 2x42 belt sander :biggrin: I need to shave 1/8" off either side, and then I'm going try tapering from the butt to the ricasso. Going for a smooth finish on this one.

And the 3rd project I cut from a bar of 1080, also from RodneyJ, did all the pre-HT work and sent it to o'machearley for an edge quench - hoping for a nice hamon. Will etch and polish accordingly. That one will sport black G10 scales, with black screws countersunk using the screw receivers, no tube. Going to try jimping on that one.

Shopping for kydex for all 3 right now, then its time to get serious. :biggrin: I'm thinking of making just one design several times, to get better at it, and to chip away at the list of folks that I want to give a knife to. And tonight I'm practicing etching my maker's mark on my crash dummy knife, using the 9v method.

Back