#2 kith

Franklin, I read in another post to gun blue the pins to make them blend better. If you were to blue the file it just might work. Just an idea. Wade

wade are you saying gun blue all of it?if i do just pins then there will be blue dots and the rest shiny. or if i do all of it then
i am affraid i will loose the 2 tone i got going on . Here is a close up of were i am. I am stumped grind smooth or leave alone?

Attachments

• 100_3501.jpg
    100_3501.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 29
If I were in your shoes I'd make a small sharp chisel from some scrap blade steel. Harden it and use it to cut matching lines in the pins. The pins are soft so a little tap-tap should be all it takes.

Bet you could get it extremely close like that so the pins are hardly noticible, if at all.

FWIW I wouldn't even bother tempering the chisel. Torch harden it and sharpen it up is all I would do. A 2 minute single use specialty tool ;)

- I like what you've got going on there too !

-Josh

josh thats so funny that ideal hit me just has i was turning on the computer!!!!! deja vu.
great now i got that worked out lets see if i can pull it off lol
thanks guys for all the help on this it does help.

well guys here's my baby wont say shes the best looking i ever made,but i will tell whomever adopts here without a joke she is my favorite hands down. would love to keep but also love the ideal of a fellow dog carrying her. hope ya like.

Attachments

• 100_3534.jpg
    100_3534.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_3535.jpg
    100_3535.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_3539.jpg
    100_3539.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
thanks guys, messerist its black palm wood i bought from woodcrafters.
was going to use some old wood from a pallet but this piece kept popping up every time i was thinking about the handle.
thought the polite thing to do was use it lol

well guys here is the sheath i went with. now should i keep light or goe dark? ? how doe you get the frills to relaxe and
fall some will oil alone do it ?

Attachments

• 100_3623.jpg
    100_3623.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 15
I am not skilled at all at leatherwork. Wife is a vegetarian. Easier to work with wood than leather and deal with the looks. I would suggest staining it a little, though.

looks like a good knife/sheath combo.
kc

I use Java Brown on most of my sheaths , then while still wet I put some antique finish over the whole thing. Let dry completely , hit it with some steel wool in spots then buff.. It makes a great finish.
My two sense.

Definately dye IMHO.

Not sure about veg-tanned fringe. I'd make a little section of practice fringe to experiment on and try a good soaking with Neatsfoot oil. Other than that I'm not sure what'll soften it up.

-Josh

well heres is were i went with it, i think i like it.

Attachments

• 100_3625.jpg
    100_3625.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_3629.jpg
    100_3629.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back