2 questions

My first question is about the bubble jig. Does the complete system make that much of a difference? You can buy the complete system for 79.00 or you can buy I guess the bubble and the angle pieces for like 55.00. Is the piece you fasten to the knife blank worth it?

Secound question when heat treating a knife with a fine tip like a chefs knife what should you do to keep from over heating the tip? Sorry one more when finish grinding after heat treating I usually over heat the tip I don't a an adjustable speed grinder so any suggestions.

Thanks for any advice.
David

David, I can't give you any insight regarding the Bubble Jig since I've never used one.
As far as overheating the tip of your knives, use a new, sharp belt, light passes since friction is the cause of the over heating, and cool you blade after every pass.
Hope this is some help to you.

The overheating may be caused by trying to take too much off with a fine grit belt when a size courser od more should first be used. Frank

The jig keeps everything straight. Well worth the extra. I used mine for 8 months before moving on to freehand. Any other file guide will cost a lot more. When I need a file guide today I use one of Bruce Bump's unit. I just loan my Bubble Jig out to a friend who wants to try it.

Back